Reload this Page >

Has anyone walked Florence's Vasari Corridor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Maria

I just read about this and it sounds wonderful. Is it? Is the corridor completely closed in though or is it quite open so that you can see much of the city? <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:38 PM
jodi

From an old NYT article I quote,"The walkway, which affords a magnificent view of the city..." But, you want to walk there for other reasons, there are other fabulous views of the city, from the Michelangelo Piazzelle, Fiesole, etc. You want to walk the corrider to see paintings that very few people have ever seen, especially the self portraits, to feel the sense of the Medicis and their privilege, and gain the wonder of how it was all those years ago. That sounds unpleasant, and I don't mean to be wise...I have wanted to get into the Vesari Corrider for a long time and each time I think I have it arranged the Italians change their minds and it does not happen. It is currently open of Wednesday and Fridays..you must make an appointment..055 265 5421..the operators speak good English and are very accomodating. Good luck, I hope you get to go.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:41 PM
jodi

Oops! wrong phone number to make Vesari reservations...international code, then Italy code, then 055 265 4321. Sorry. Have you read Vesari's book on the Lives of the Artists?

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Vita

I thought it would make sense to do Uffizi first, then do the corridor and explore the Boboli gardens in the afternoon, but entrance times to the corridor are limited. Does it make sense for me to book entrance to Uffizi for 8:30 on Saturday and the Vasari corridor at 10:30? Is 2 hours enough time to see Uffizi?

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:44 PM
jodi

You seem to not have left any lag time, and you will be pushing in the Uffizi. Why not do the Uffizi @ your leisure, see the best then have an espresso and small snack...do the Vesari @ 1:30 and then end up in the Boboli in time for another drink, treat and wonderful outdoor experience. If too many people are in one gallery and you don't get to the a special painting..oops!..you won't go back. Make a plan in the Uffizi of the special things you want to see, mark the galleries and then follow it. If you see something on the way you will have time to tarry. And, then you won't start the Vesari tense. Have fun!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Vita

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. It would be great if there was a 1:30 tour, but there's not. There's only a 10:30 on Friday and either 9 or 10:30 on Saturday and Sunday. At least this is what I found online. If anyone knows different, let me know. In any case, point taken. As I expected, 2 hours in Uffizi isn't enough. Grazie!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:16 PM
jodi

Call the "proper" number..there are 1:30 tours...maybe the day you are going to be there they are booked but they do have PM tours.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Maria

Jodi, thanks for the info. <BR> <BR>I know you don't mean to sound wise and I don't think you did but of course I know there are other reasons to walk the corridor. I know about the paintings, etc. I just wanted to get an idea of what it would be like to walk it and since I am a bit clostrophobic to make sure it wasn't completely closed in for much of the walk. I'm aware of the other views you mentioned but the corridor intrigues me much more for various reasons. <BR> <BR>I didn't realize there might be some complications reserving a time. Thanks for the warning. <BR> <BR>Oh and yes, I have read Lives of the Artists.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Vita

Thanks, Jodi. I've been getting a lot of conflicting information about when the tours actually run. I was trying to handle it by e-mail to save myself an international call, but I guess I'll have to call. Thanks for the info. The afternoon tour would definitely be a better option.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Vita

Well, after all that fuss, it turns out that Vasari's corridor is fully booked for the weekend of September 21. I figured as much, but I wanted to give it the old college try. <BR> <BR>FYI, I tried to book Uffizi and Accademia over the internet and the dates I entered kept getting screwed up. I was trying to book September and it kept coming back as August. Please be sure to check your dates if you book online. I ended up calling instead. It hardly took any time at all. <BR> <BR>Although they've been posted before these are the phone numbers I used: <BR> <BR>Accademia and Uffizi (and other museums) 055 294 883 <BR>Vasari's corridor 055 265 4321