Has anyone visited Zagreb?

Oct 18th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Lou

Has anyone visited Zagreb?

My family is from Zagreb, and I was wandering if anyone has visited the area? Is it worth seeing, even if my family has departed? I would probably visit Dubrovnik and perhaps one other city as well. Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Oct 19th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Marilyn

I was there about 25 years and a war ago, so I don't think I'm qualified to give you any practical advice. I just wanted to encourage you to go. It was a lovely area then, especially the coast, but your family connection gives you a strong reason to spend at least a day or two there. We went down the coast to Kotor, and the walled town itself and the fjord-like scenery are quite beautiful.

Oct 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
john

Lou,
I've been through a couple of times. We stayed at the Hotel Panorama. That was during the war - blue helmets in the market place. Dubrovnik is not convenient from Zagreb. We went over to Rijeka which is a very pleasant sea side city, and then back to Italy through forlorn Trieste.
John

Oct 19th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Jim & June

Lou, go!

The fall before the war began we drove though-out Yugoslavia starting in Belgrade and departing for home from Zargreb. We rented a Yugo and drove through the mountains to the coast. We had no advance reservations and found hotels and Inns with no problem.

We spent a few days each, in Sarajevo, Dubrovnik, Zargreb as well as having overnights in Medjegory (sp)and several towns along the coast. We think the land and sea scapes are among the most beautiful we have ever encountered.

We found the people to be most friendly and hospitable. The food was excellent as were our accommodations. Dubrovnik is especially interesting. When we return we will take time to explore some of the Adriatic islands.

Oct 19th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Ben Haines

I lived there for three months in 1991 and have visited since. I like Zagreb, as Marilyn did. It has two different baroque towns, each on its own hill, and an elegant Franz Josef development for the half mile between those hills and the station. The feel is big city, and the museums are good: I should say that the food is even better.

Zagreb to Dubrovnik is easy. A sleeper on the overnight train, breakfast in Diocletian's palace, and four hours by bus along the beautiful coast to Dubrovnik. Or in summer from Split by boat 8 hours to Dubrovnik.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Oct 19th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Ben Haines

I lived there for three months in 1991 and have visited since. I like Zagreb, as Marilyn did. It has two different baroque towns, each on its own hill, and an elegant Franz Josef development for the half mile between those hills and the station. The feel is big city, and the museums are good: I should say that the food is even better.

Zagreb to Dubrovnik is easy. A sleeper on the overnight train, breakfast in Diocletian s palace, and four hours by bus along the beautiful coast to Dubrovnik. Or in summer from Split by boat 8 hours to Dubrovnik.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Oct 19th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Syrin

I travelled in Croatia this summer. I had a fabulous time. It's a wonderful country, I met alot of nice people there. Zagreb is a beautiful city,lots of cafes, open markets and some great museums. It's definitely worth a trip! As for the rest of your time in Croatia, Dubrovnik is a must, but instead of another city have you thought about going to one of the islands? Vis is incredible-quiet, clean, and a great place for diving and snorkelling.