Has anyone taken food with them?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to London in June and wanted to take some snack food with us. We usually do this when traveling in the US but we've never flown overseas. Has anyone done this going overseas?
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Yes, I have. Any other questions?
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Do you mean snacks to eat during the flight? Plane food can be pretty bad, but you usually get a choice and it's unlikely that you'll starve during the journey.<BR><BR>If you mean snacks to eat when you get there, why bother? London has lots of shops and many of them sell snacks.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

We're trying to save money on snacks since the US dollar isn't has much as a pound. We're suppose to have breakfast everyday included so hopefully we won't need a lot. It's nice to have when you're walking around and need something to munch on.<BR>Thanks anonymous for your reply. Did you have any trouble going through customs once you got there?<BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:13 AM

I really didn't understand that you meant taking food to eat during your visit; I thought you were asking about food to eat enroute. It makes no sense to lug your own snacks over there. Just stop at a grocery store after you get there. We found that baked goods (scones and such ) were much cheaper than over here --even though the dollar is weaker against the pound, and even though things are always more expensive in London than elsewhere, food (groceries, not restaurants) is reasonable. We stayed in a home-exchange for 3 weeks, so got to be pretty familiar with groceries. Chains like Tescos rae comparable to US supermarkets in variety, quality and price.<BR><BR>The only snack I'd recommend that you bring is peanut butter if you really want it; British PB is very different.<BR><BR>It is probably illegal to import fresh fruits and veggies; I know this is true when you enter the US. Processed foods (e.g., baked or canned) are mostly OK.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:14 AM

I don't think you'll have a problem, but I'd suggest buying your snacks after you get there. The british chocolate is soooo good and their crisps (potato chips are really good too). It's a good chance to try different snacks. If you are on a budget, I'd suggest going to a big supermarket for your snacks. The prices will probably be better and you can also get take out meals at the large supermarkets.<BR>Good luck.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Maybe you don't quite understand what currency conversion means, but something that costs a dollar in the US doesn't necessarily cost a pound in the UK. <BR><BR>To give you an idea of UK prices, you can buy a bag of crisps (chips) or a chocolate bar for about 35 pence (about 55 cents) and a sandwich will cost you around 1.50-2.50 pounds (2.35-3.95 dollars) from a take-away outlet like Boots, Superdrug or Marks &amp; Spencer.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:46 AM

i've packed a couple of boxes of granola bars with me for various trips. if you're flying to the UK on a British carrier, their food is good, but US airlines pretty much suck, so pack a sandwich for the flight too.<BR> <BR>Anyway, i like having the granola bars with me because i am very snacky and i ate about three on the tube ride from Heathrow to my hostel.<BR> <BR>UK grocery stores have lots of snacks to choose from, so definitely hit them when you get there. <BR> <BR>Also, go to Boots for cheap lunches - they have sandwiches and yogurt for cheap.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM

I usually carry a some food with me. When arriving in Europe, you have to go to the hotel, change money (unless it's the UK because I have pounds from previous trips), etc.<BR><BR>If you have a snack, you can eat it and take a nap.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:45 AM
jor

I bring food on leaving and arriving in the US. I know that US customs is very strict about bringing any fruit to the US because of problems with certain fruit flies, etc. which could distroy American orchards. I think it started with the Mediterrean Fruit Fly. Eat 'em if you got 'em.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Anonymous,<BR><BR>I loved your reply. You answered the question exactly as it was asked, since the question was really not properly phrased. It goes with the other posters who ask &quot;Has anyone ever.........&quot;. Of course, somebody has.<BR><BR>Before registration, it used to be fun to answer this type of question in a kidding manner. Now you get slammed.<BR><BR>Curious
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Do Europeans walk around in public eating &amp; drinking like Americans do?
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:05 AM
lynlor

I almost always take a big bag of raisins and nuts and mix them together. This makes for a great snack or pick me up when we don't want to stop for food.

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't bring food for &quot;there&quot; because I do want to try new things that I may not find here. BUT I do bring some food for flight because I have never had airline food that I thought was wonderful.And if going from airport to rental car and on the road, I'll pack some nuts and candy.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM

littlehouse: There is no reason to lug a bunch of food to the UK. You will find tasty, inexpensive treats in London. A few little snacks for the flight is one thing - but I find most airlines feed me more food and more often than I need on transatlantic flights (domestic is totally different - I usually take something on stateside flights). Why pack more than you need to? <BR><BR>janeg: &quot;Do Europeans walk around in public eating &amp; drinking like Americans do?&quot;<BR><BR>Nope - They certainly have gelato, crisps and other treats but not this seeming obsession with snacking all the time.<BR><BR>Two of my theories (and I'll probably get slammed for this) are <BR><BR>1) one reason obesity and typeII diabetes are at epidemic rates in the US is because we tend to always be snacking. Even &quot;healthy&quot; snacks like granola and fruit contribute to overweight and especially to blood sugar problems.<BR><BR>2) So many Americans have quit smoking (Which is a good thing) and they tend to substitute continual snacking for the quick cigarette<BR><BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We always take a bag of Sunsweet Pitted Prunes, for obvious reasons.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Because prunes are not available outside the US?
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:49 PM

We've been on flights long delayed, and arrived extremely late at night.. Too late to go out, already exhausted. It's nice to have packed some snacks, even collected crackers/cheese,etc, not eaten that come w/meal. Agree no fruit, but we take Kashi nutrition bars/beef or turkey jerky for the husband. Ice tea mix/sweetner. Even some paper plates &amp; plastic silverware as it comes in handy. We find eating out constantly tiring, and like to stay in 1-2 nights to prep for next day. Also shop in major dept stores, great food selections.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:46 PM

After many overseas and U.S. flights and being totally disgusted with the food in coach (if they serve any) I carry my own. For the flight, I buy a beef stick and cut it up, crackers, and nuts, raisins &amp; M&amp;Ms combined for the flight. I take peanut butter because I'm not sure if I'll find it. I say if you have a snack food you really like, take it. No big deal.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:53 PM

&quot;Do Europeans walk around in public eating &amp; drinking like Americans do?&quot;<BR> <BR>people eat and walk during their lunch hour. it was very strange to me to see workers in Paris on their lunch break eating their sandwiches in the record store, while browsing in the department store, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -