Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed outside Paris and commuted in?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Debbie

What about staying near Versaille- I read that it is cheaper than in Paris. Is taking the train in from there a nice trip? Could you stay at a really nice place inexpensively there?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:00 PM
elvira

Versailles is a very pretty town, and a half hour away from Paris by RER (let's say to Pont St Michel). If you want to go to the Louvre, you've got a 20 min walk or 5-10min metro/bus ride.

Inexpensive is relative: a 3* hotel in Paris (max 20mins from the good tourist stuff) might be $120/double. Fewer amenities, and you're down to $100 or less per night.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Diane

One of the reasons Paris is so neat is because it is so live-able. I can't really see "commuting" in and out as being particularly desirable. Plus as elvira noted, you can stay in the city inexpensively. We found a very nice little place in '98 halfway between Bastille and Place de Republique for less than $100/night, within several blocks of 3 Metro stops and several bus stops. Plus we could walk all over (and felt very safe doing so!). Now, if you want to spend a couple nights outside Paris to see sights outside of Paris, that's a totally different story!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Liz

We stayed at the well-regarded 2star Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th a few weeks ago for about $73 a night for a double. I can't imagine one could do better outside the city, and there would be so many draw-backs, such as coming in with daily commuters, and missing the wonderful ambiance of the city.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Jim Rosenberg

There are plenty of reasonably-priced accommodations in wonderful Paris neighborhoods within a stone's throw of the metro. I stayed in a nice 3-star recently for under $70 per night in a safe and interesting area that we truly enjoy. If your true object is to spend time in Paris, then that is the place to be!