Search

Has anyone stayed at this apt in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone stayed at this apt in Paris?

http://www.vrbo.com/152911
I found this apartment to be perfect for our May 2008 trip, and would like to see if anyone has stayed there or has interacted with its owner, Paul Bernie.

Any input is much appreciated.

Ellen
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM

No, but I sure like it. Nice price too, and a wonderful bonus of two bathroooms if you have more that two people.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Wish I had seen that before I booked mine. That is a great price and nice looking. I'd say go for it!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Have you asked for any references or referrals from the owner?
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Well... The contact person (not the owner) sent me a contract which had most of the parts in French. I replied back and asked for an English version, as well as 2-3 references. He has not replied. I will wait another day to contact him.

I am just a little scared to be ripped off. What if he doesn't want to rent it to me anymore? Am I asking too much? Although the price is much higher than what was listed on vrbo (now $1600), I still like the apartment a lot.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Whoa. I'd be VERY concerned. I'm pretty sure this is a fairly new listing, as I've never seen it before. The price is higher than the website states? And it isn't the owner you are dealing with (hey, the site is called vacation rental by OWNER), but some sort of agent? And he's not responding?
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Lots of agents use VRBO or owners with several apartments, if that's all it means.

I don't know, if some foreigner asked me to have a rental contract translated into their home language which I didn't know, I wouldn't do it, either. Besides, there are legalities involved, and that may not be legal, or at least not something the owner feels comfortable doing. I mean if a person just translates a contract themself and don't consider themselves expert, I'm not sure how that holds up in the local courts.

That guy has several apartments he has rented for a year or more on various websites. He is on www.parisnet.com, also, for example where that apt. rents for more than $185 a day, but part of that is the exchange rate I imagine. $1600 is now about 1100 euro per week, and on VRBO it is 875 euro. Could be a raise for the next year -- on another website it is 975 euro a week already.

I wouldn't get alarmed because someone doesn't answer an email within a short time, that isn't that unusual in France. You don't say how long since you inquired, how long has it been? HOwever, I wouldn't count on getting a contract translated into English. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong on that, I wonder what other private French owners do -- pretty sure I've read other posts on here by folks who couldn't read their contracts in a foreign language, either.

I also wouldn't count on getting references, but you never know. I myself would never let any landlord give out my name and contact info to others about an apt. rental.

VRBO claims they have a guarantee that they'll refund any money the owner doesn't return, or if it isn't legitimate, up to $5k if you register within some time period. At least that's what it says that I read briefly (under rent with confidence guarantee).

Anyway, I haven't interacted with the owner, but know he has at least three apts he rents on websites.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Several times renting French apartments I have been given two copies -- the French one and an accompanying English translation, although I have been instructed to sign and return the one in French. I compared the two enough to be pretty sure they said they same thing. It seems that an apartment which actually lists their prices in US dollars would not be adverse to providing an English translation of the contract. Maybe that's just me.

It's a good sign than Christina is aware of other apartments this person rents -- a very good sign.

Sometimes I may err on the side of caution about this apartment renting thing, but perhaps that's why in some 50 or more rentals I have yet to be duped.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

It has not been long since I inquired about the aparment. Paul has been pretty good in replying my emails, always within 12 hours. But this time, it has been two days. I have written him another email about discussing things over.

Christina, how am I going to sign something that I do not understand at all? Do I need to find someone to translate it for me? Or do I simply have to trust Paul? It is really good that you've seen his listings on other websites. That made me feel a lot better. I tried to google him, but weren't successful.

As for the references, I can compromise.

I really hope that I will hear from him soon. That apartment is so far the best one I've seen.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM

As far as price, I just wanted to say that a lot of the apartments I have rented or even just inquired about have different US prices on different web sites. And then sometimes, the quote, when you inquire, is a bit different. This is as NeoPatrick said...it has a lot to do with the fluctuation of the dollar. Sometimes the listings were just done at different times and the US price is different. If it is listed in Euros, it is almost always the same price on all listings.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I don't know about the contract thing, I can read French so have had no problem reading French contracts, but I have also dealth with official agencies who have their contracts translated professionally. I'm just not sure what a single guy with a couple apts for rent would do about that. I agree, it's a problem, just am not sure what you should do. On the other hand, someone could argue if you are renting on VRBO to anyone, you should be prepared to have a contract officially translated into English, at least. I would not disagree with that, just don't know the custom.

Maybe Patrick can comment on what kind of party had a contract officially translated into English -- was it just a private owner with one or two apts, or was it more an agency?

This guy has three apts for rent on www.parisnet.com This same apt. is no. 00177 on there, if you want to look. If you go to the section on Paris apts, it's about 17 down on the list. You can tell because it has the same phone number as the one on VRBO and says it is Paul. That website doesn't really say too much but has quite a few photos. I think it's the same as VRBO, you rent directly from the owner.

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM

oh, why don't you see what they come up with regarding the contract. If it's not too long, I could translate it for you -- let me know and here and I'll give you my email.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Tres chic.

Take the usual precautions and keep listening for comments. Hope it works out for you.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Most recently the contract was for an apartment through a Paris agency. They sent the copies in English and in French -- but I wouldn't be surprised if they were typical "purchased" or "computer downloaded" contracts -- in fact they kind of appeared to be the latter. Another time it was an individual owner who was British, but the "packet" sent included the same contract both in French and in English -- and those really did look like computer print outs.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

He finally replied. Apparently he missed my email because he was working with 6 agencies on 3 apartments. I'd better get the apartment reserved fast.

Anyway, I am still asking him for an English version of the contract. Told him that I'd wire the money immediately upon receiving a readable contract. OR do I need to wait till a signed (by both parties) contract to be returned to me???

As for the references, I compromised. Hopefully I will hear from him soon.

Thanks, everyone.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM

It sounds just like an asst. who does the contact and misc work for owners/agencies who rent apts. Doesn't surprise me, if I were a private owner, I wouldn't have time to deal with and answer questions, handle contracts, etc., with renters, either, as I have a full-time job.

Not sure what you mean about the contract being signed by both parties? They should send you a contract with a space for your signature. You sign it and return it. Of course, you should keep a copy of it after you sign it and before you send it off.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh. I thought the owner will need to sign it also. Guess not then.

Anyway, he is not able to give me an English version of the contract, but he did send me a reference. Once that person tells me that the apartment is OK, I will go ahead and sign the contract and wire the money (50% deposit).

Anything else I should look out for?
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM

elyang, I hope this goes through and you can report back so that you become OUR reference and can recommend this apartment. As I said, it does look nice.

How do they need the money? PayPal, credit card, or other? You said "wire". I sincerely hope you DON'T mean Western Union.

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Got a reply from the reference already. She and her family really liked the place. The money transaction was smooth although she was also worried about the contract in French initially.

I am going to sign the contract and wire the deposit to the owner's account. it is through Credit Agriocole. I don't know what that is. Never done a wire transfer before.

Thank you, everyone. You've been a great help!
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Credit Agricole is a major bank in France. Do not worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -