Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone rented from Sixt in Italy and/or Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Italy and Spain in January. We are trying to find a good inexpensive rental car place. AutoEurope is expensive. We are wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences using Sixt?
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 09:27 PM

Two years ago we rented a car on two occasions from Economy Car Rental while in Italy. Economy is actually a consolidator that uses many different companies. We picked-up a car from Sixt in Lecce and dropped it off in Bari 5 days later. We had absolutely no problem at all. It was a brand new Chevy Cruze diesel that drove perfectly. Both check in and drop off went fine without any residual unanticipated charges.

A week later we picked up the second car, an Alfa Romeo, in Orvietto from Avis. That experience, including the car, was OK but not as good as with Sixt.

We have also used Economy in Croatia with good results. We would not hesitate to use Economy again or to use Sixt directly.

Here is Economy's website if you are interested... http://www.economycarrentals.com/
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 10:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>AutoEurope is expensive.</i>"

Every rental option will be expensive - IF you pick up in one country and drop off in a different country . . .
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 01:55 AM

Good luck. I find you have to search and search and also search for discount coupons that will help bring down the fees. I prefer to book direct with the company if there is no great price difference. I, too, have found in the specific searches I have done that in my rentals, Autoeurope has never been the best price, nor close.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 03:24 AM

I rented a car from Sixt last month in France...excellent! My friends are currently in Spain and I recommended Sixt , everythimhg has gone smoothly with the rental ?

I'd previously rented cars in Europe with Hertz and Budget , Sixt , IMHO , was much more efficient and the cars and prices were superior.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 05:15 AM

I've used Sixt and had no problems. Also check kemwel.com. I have found their prices best in Italy. Be sure to compare the deductibles when comparing prices.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 05:47 AM

Rented from Sixt in Bari and it was the only car to have 0 deductable insurance. This was important to me in Italy.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM

Our group of 7 was in Northern Italy this past September. I rented through Europcar and my friend through Sixt. My rental was fine, other than an hour wait doing the pick-up paperwork in Milan (this was a previously reserved rental). He was in and out in 3 minutes. To be fair, there were some people ahead of me at Europcar and none ahead of him at Sixt, but personal time spent at the desk was still much, much longer for me. Further, he got a fantastic price, and his vehicle included a GPS and diesel for no additional charge. He was very pleased with the vehicle and his entire Sixt experience.

Unknown is how the company responds when there is an issue with the vehicle. Still, based on what I saw, I would not hesitate to use Sixt and will do so on my next trip to Europe.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM

We used Sixt in Venice two weeks ago. By far the least expensive. We also used Sixt in France two years ago....same experience. Remember that you need to know how to drive a stick shift! Also, driving in Italy was a breeze thanks to the new speed cameras. I remember Italy as rather fast and reckless....I see it now as sane and skilled driving. I'll take Italy any day over the NASCAR style of metro Atlanta!