Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone received Robin's Paris notes?!?

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 02:51 PM
pam

Has anyone who has requested Robin's Paris notes received them? If so, could you please forward them to me. We are leaving next Thursday. Thanks.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 05:42 PM
AJ

My guess is that no one has received them and no one will.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 04:02 AM
helen

Pam; I was one of those folks who posted it on the francophile site...I still have not heard anything more about Robin's Paris notes, what a shame for it really looked informative; there seemed to be some sort of glitch. If I do hear anything I certainly will contact you but I am afraid we won't...it's been more than a week and nothing thus far. In the meantime, have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 05:46 AM
xxxxx

You probably won't get them. But Robin has your direct e-mail address

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:22 AM
Myer

I don't know who Robin is but I've been to Paris several times. The more recent this past summer and 2 years before. I'm not sure what Robin was going to provide so I'll assume you're trying to decide what to do. I'll take it upon myself to provded my favorites.
Paris is the world class city. It is among the most beautiful there is and has cleaned up tremendously in the part few years. The people are not what their reputation appears to be. While we speak French it is not really required. Almost everybody will help you out. After all, you're spending money there. Most every restaurant has the menu in French and English. If not ask for an English menu.

On to the sites. Though quite large Paris is a walking city. Picture a straight line with the Louvre (most famous museum) at one end. Check for times and days. Probably closed on Mondays. Contains the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo. If you are a true museum lover plan on at least half a day and possibly much much more. Otherwise, a little bit of culture for an hour or 2. From the Louvre walk through the Tuillerie gardens. The seine river is on the left (directly). Walk over to take a look. About midway through the gardens and just across the river is the other must see museum; d'Orsey. On my first trip to paris this was still a train station. In my opinion it comes before the Louvre. It is a people's museum. Don't miss it. At the end of the Tuillerie gardens (a 5 minute walk from the Louvre) you get to Place de la Concode. Big an busy circular street. Again walk over to the Seine (1 minute) to get a great view of the river in both directions as well as the Eiffel Tower. To the right of the Concorde (100 yards) is the famous Maxim's restaurant. Look up the street and see the Madeleine church. From the Concorde you should be getting your first glimpse of the Arc de Triomphe. The walk up the Champs Elysees is tremendous. This boulevard was build by Napoleon for vistory marches. As you walk up the Champs, at each light jump out into the middle of the Boulevard (watch the paris drivers) to get a view of the Arc growing before you. You have no idea how large it is until you see the size of the people at the top. Stop for a coffee, cappucino, water, etc at a cafe on the right side of the street on the Champs (a little expensive but you can spend quite a while with it people watching). On to the Arc. Without stops the walk from the Louvre to the Arc is a leisurely hour and a half. If possible walk up to the top. It's not a bad climb and the lines may be a lot shorter than the Eiffel Tower.
From the top you can see the church of Sacre Coeur to the left (app. 45 degrees)and up the hill, all the way down the Champs straight ahead and the Eiffel Tower (app 45 degrees) to the right. Walk back down and head in the direction of the Eiffel tower.
If you picture the straight line from the Louvre to the Arc, the Seine parallels this until a little before the arc and then the river makes a left turn. Walking toward the Tower you will cross the Seine at some point. This walk about 20-30 minutes more down hill so it's a good idea to go in this direction. As you get closer to the Tower look up through the small street. The Tower looms overhead. You will cross the river at one of 2 points depending upon the angle you took. You will cross at either the Alma bridge (if it sounds familiar it is the spot where Diana was killed) or directly at the Tower. The lines to go up the Tower are always impossible. You may want to give up. Cross the bridge (across the Seine and walk up the steps of Chaillot Palace for a really great view of the Tower. This may be enough for most of that day.
If we go back to the straight line from the Louvre to the Arc (back to the Arc this time), Notre Dame church (famous for the Hunchback of ...) is on an island (Ile de la Cite) directly in front of you and slightly left. Spend a few hours walking around this downtown type of area. The famous book stalls on both banks of the river (they sell old books, etc always bargain they expect it). On the left (known as the right bank) is a great deal! Go into the Samaritaine department store. Take the elevator up to the top. There is an outdoor self-service restaurant and an observation deck. Not that many know about it and it is free giving a great view of the city. I'm not sure how much time we spent or if this day is finishe yet. Some other sights. Back to the straight line between the Louvre and the Arc. Just from leaving the Louvre and to the right is Rue de l'Opera. A fifteen minute walk and you arrive at the old Opera building. This was my first sight of paris coming out of the Metro (subway) great sight. There is a cutaway of this structure in the d'Orsey museum (don't miss). From the Opera walk in the same direction from which you cam except angle about 45 degrees right down Rue de la Paix. This takes you through one of the most famous squares, Place Vendome. Walk around the square, beautiful buildings, famous designer stores, etc. Also, this is the home of the Ritz hotel (again of Diana fame). Walk in as you belong and you're ok. Walk through the boutiques in the hotel. See how they live. Stop in the store. But a postcard and they'll give you a Ritz bag. Continue through the square and come out back on the staright line but justr near Place de Concode. We just crossed Rue Fauberg St Honore. Used to be famous for its boutiques and designer stores. Many have move but a block or two may be of interest.
Back to the staright line bewteen the Louvre and the Arc. When facing the Arc. Go to the left at a point at the Tuillerie Gardens and we are on the famous Left Bank. St Germian de Pret, Latin quarter, university. Shopping, people walking. Oldest church may be of interest. In the evening many people walking around. Rue de l'Harpe area for outdoor, inexpensive restaurants. The oldest cafe in Paris, Procope is on Rue Ancienne Comedie. We ate there 20 years ago. However, I'm told it's not what it uses to be.
For another side visit the area around Sacre Coeur Church. Impressive setting. Careful for the areas artists accosting you to buy their works.
Two side trips. Versaille Palance to see how the royalty lived back then. Forty minutes each way by train (RER you can get it near the Tower or ask). This trip is about half a day. The other to Giverney where artist Claude Monet lived.
Since you asked about prices (Hmmm). We stayed at a great Best Western right next door to Procope in the heart of the Left Bank St Germain area (Hotel Left Bank). Recommend highly. Breakfast, tax, service included about $150 US per night. It was lower when I book through Best Western and not the hotel. Best Western doesn't automaticall imply American style. They are local hotels with the local flavor and different areas. Meals. We ate very well in nice restaurants (not lavish and we don't drink) for 35-45 US. all included.
Paris. Agreat city. We've been there several times (all pleasure) and I expect to return again eventually.
I hope this helps and that you're not upset I stood in for Robin.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Spanky

Myer:

Thanks so much for the walking tour. I spent a week in Paris several years ago and I was able to relive it through your wonderful descriptive walks! I'm sitting here at work in Philly, but I'm sitting in a bistro in Paris again thanks to you.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 02:16 PM
wes fowler

There is a Robin and there are Parisian notes - 64 typewritten pages worth that are unbelievably comprehensive. I did receive them and printed them, then deleted them from my hard drive so unfortunately I can't forward copies.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 03:19 PM
Myer

I guess there is a Robin. I just reread what I wrote earlier in the day. I am appalled at my typing skills (or lack of them). You can be assured that while my spelling may leave something to be desired, my English is a lot better.
Anyhow. Robin (he/she) responded to my walking tours (see above) by eMailing "Robin's Notes".
I've only has a chance to look at the beginning (over 60 pages). It appears Robin spent considerable time putting together a book on Paris. Maybe it'll come out in print.
I've been to several other places if anybody is interested. Parts of Switzerland (Bern, Montreux, Lucerne, Interlaken, etc), Italy (Venice, Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast, etc).
I guess I'll have to improve my typing skills if there is any interest.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 08:35 PM
Barbara

Robin, I would love to get a copy of your notes! I keep hearing so much about them in the forum and am going to Paris next June.