Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed recent many recent posts are missing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 01:54 PM
Kathryn

Hi, <BR> <BR>Is it just my computer, or are there lots of recent topics/messages not appearing under "France." I know of three or four that are gone regarding hotels and CDG transportation, but it seems like there are many others gone, too--I do get tired of seeing the topic about prostitutes constantly appear while I can't locate my hotel inquiries! <BR> <BR>K

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Art

I've noticed that some of my posts seemed to be missing at first. When I re-enter the lounge they are there. Have you tried that. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 03:39 PM
betsy

Kathryn <BR> <BR>I've noticed that you can't just type in "France" and expect all the messages to come up. You have to type in an actual word that was in the title of the post. <BR>To get all the CDG posts, you would have to type in (in separate requests) Charles de Gaulle, CDG, Paris airport information, etc.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Klim

I've noticed the same problem. The issue is with their search engine. It won't show you a searched post regardless of the key words you associate with the search. This is one of several problems this site has had of late and Fodors never responds to email any longer.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Anne

Kathryn, <BR>I've noticed the same thing. I posted "Angels in the Paris Metro" a few weeks ago, went on vacation for 8 days, came back and could not bring it up in the text search. When I went to my email notification of a resonse to the post, I could get to it that way. Try to see if you can find it. It's been plucked away. <BR>Anne

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 08:18 PM
betsy

Anne <BR> <BR>You're right! I just looked for your "Angels" post and it's not there--it was a beautiful post. This is disappointing, as I was relying on the search capability to research future trips. Guess we'll have to cut and paste when we see useful info. 8-(

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 03:21 AM
frank

I just saw a thread & when I tried to reply 5 mins later it was GONE. <BR>Definitely a problem on this site.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 04:15 AM
Doug

I tried to find a topic I posted in order to find out what suggestions people had for me, and I couldn't find it even after typing in the exact title of the post. Typing in some of the exact towns and regions also failed to bring up the thread.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:45 AM
Paule

I'm having the same problem; it's very frustrating. I have typed in the actual title of my post, and it doesn't come up; nor does it come up with the country search. Even when I see it listed on the lefthand screen, I still can't get it to come up under a search!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:48 AM
rand

It is really spooky now. There is a message from Ben on trains in Germany tacked on to a thread about hotels in London.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 08:30 AM
Lesli

I'm pretty sure the search function is not designed to even look at titles. But it's also malfunctioning for searches within the body text.... Either that, or posts have been deleted. Either way, it's frustrating not to be able to find things that you KNOW used to be there.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 09:35 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Yeah, our recent trip report on Paris seems to be gone (or unsearchable). I'm threatening to re-post it . . .

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:28 AM
Paulo

I've no means to be certain ... but here's what I think is happening ... <BR> <BR>Till approx. the end of June or so, the text search function worked only on post titles (prior to that, in the distant past, it used to work on post text for sure, maybe also on titles). <BR> <BR>In the beginning of July (do you remember that the site was unavailable for a full day or so during the first days of July?) Fodors made some adjustements in the text search function. When the site came up again, the text search function started working on message bodies only, NOT ON TITLES. <BR> <BR>But they didn't do their job properly, because the text search function started working only on merssages THAT WERE FIRST POSTED BEFORE THE SITE WAS CHANGED in other words, in the "old" database. <BR> <BR>I made a few tests and I was not able to retrieve ANY MESSAGE POSTED BEFORE JULY 3rd (which may well be the date that "upgrade" in Fodors servers was performed). <BR> <BR>I won't bet that the text search function will retrieve ALL messages containing the text being searched in their bodies and FIRST posted prior to July 3rd or so, but it will retrieve quite a few. <BR> <BR>All what Fodors would have to do is to fix the "bug" and let the search be performed on the databank containing the messages first posted after July the 3rd or so ... But I don't think they're listening <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>If anybody feels like sending the above "conjecture" to them directly via email, feel free to do it <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:35 AM
Paulo

Oops ... in the above one should read ... <BR> <BR>"... I was not able to retrieve any message FIRST posted AFTER July 3rd ..." <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:08 PM
Kavey

Yes... <BR> <BR>Though I agree it is a Search engine problem rather than perhaps a case of them being deleted. <BR> <BR>I experimented searching for my recent post on Recipes. <BR> <BR>I searched on Recipe and Recipes (Title) and on Fondue, which I know is in the first message. <BR> <BR>No luck. <BR> <BR>But by tediously working down through the 50s of messages I found it. <BR> <BR>I suspect older messages are too far buried to find this way, so we can only ask Fodors to improve the search facility. <BR> <BR>To give them the benefit though, just have a think about the sheer volumes we are producing which they then have to archive yetsearch quickly and effectively. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:20 PM
betsy

To Brian in Atlanta <BR> <BR>Please repost your Paris report. We left for Europe before you posted it. Enjoyed your Brugge report.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 04:57 PM
xx

I've been silenced! I really want to post a response to the vacation time thread on the US forum. When I click post a reply, it won't give me the box to type a reply. I get just all of the other replies stacked on the left side of the screen. I've been muzzled (and I was going to make a really good point, too)!!!