Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever shopped online "in Europe"??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering - has anyone out there ever shopped in Europe through the web (online) using a credit card?
Were there any problems - with shipping, quality of item, duties and shipping charges, returns, etc.?
Any countries or items to avoid?
Are books and CDs/DVDs a safe item to purchase?
Thanks for any help or advice!!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:34 AM

I've purchased things online from vendors in both France and Italy and had no problems. The items arrived, as ordered. Just get the shipping charges up front as sometimes they can exceed the actual purchase price of the goods. Recently I ordered something from Italy that got held up in customs on a national security check but I just had to provide a social security number to customs and it arrived 2 days later.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I recently ordered from dpam.com (childrens clothes). It took about 3 weeks for delivery but no problems at all. The items were airmailed.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:40 AM

DVD for European market will not work in US/Canadian players and vice versa.

Amazon has an international shop which you link from the US site.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:43 AM

I bought some items from the Louvre museum store. They were shipped fed ex if I recall. No problems, except that the items were held by customs for a few days while they figured out what they were or some such thing.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

ncgrrl - are you sure that European DVDs/CDs (with movies, for example) won't play on our systems here?? (I ask because I happen to have one European movie CD/DVD that I have played on our DVD with no problem, so now I am puzzled????).
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Borealis,
I've purchased books (LOTS of them) on
www.casadellibro.com (Spain's largest bookstore) and have never had a problem.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I buy the bulk of my Christmas shopping on line. Most of the suppliers are in the UK. No hassles beyond the norm.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM

I have bought French CDs and books from www.fnac.com with no problem. These were standard items so quality didn't have anything to do with FNAC (published CDs and books). Shipping charges are high but for some things, it was the only reasonable way to get them as they were not available in the US (even some classical music CDs from major labels are only published in Europe). Charges get better if you buy more. I bought specific books I knew and wanted.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:07 PM

We always buy wonderful French cheese from fromage.com. They overnight with FedEx.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Oops! That's fromages.com.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:02 PM

I've purchased a Christening Gown from Children's Salon in Kent (?), England. It was very easy. They were helpful and there were no problems with shipping or additional charges.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:07 PM

My husband bought shaving cream from Taylor's of London. The shipping fee was high because it's fairly heavy and it's a long way to Calif. but it came within a few days. What money can do!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:31 PM

I've purchased books from England with no problems. But can't vouch for every web vendor in Europe.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:39 PM

I get holiday cookies from Lebkuchen Schmidt every yera...never had a problem....shipping can be expensive.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I guess that I will cross my fingers, hold my breath, and try ordering from Europe on-line !!
And I will post a separate question regarding DVD/CD formats Europe vs US.
Thanks again!!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:18 PM

Glad to hear you are going to try. I purchased several items from Bucherer.com (clocks, watches, etc.). All were delivered very quickly, packed well and just as advertised in the catalog. Bucherer is a first-class clock and watch store in Switzerland and Germany.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:52 AM

DVDs are region specific, as are (or have been in the past) DVD players.

DVD's in North America are deemed region 1 and are not usually compatible with DVD players that are not region 1 compatible. DVD players sold in Europe are region 2 (I think).

Personally my DVD player (in europe) has been modified so it is now multi-region so I can take advantage of cheaper DVD's in the US and Canada, and the odd pirate copy from SE Asia as well.

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 01:56 AM

Christina, I live in Montreal and it might be cheaper for you to order french books from

www.archambault.ca

a Montreal based music and book store that has excellent on line shopping. I order from them frequently, their service is great.

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:49 AM
SRS

Borealis - What a great post! I've not until yesterday, so I can't add anything, but to say thanks for posting this so I will be able to in the future!

Marija - Becuase of your reply I looked at and ordered from Fromages last night! The cheese will arrive on Thursday. I may have a new shopping problem on my hands!

Thanks to all for saying good sites!

SRS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -