Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Driven from Bari to Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we're still putting our anniversary trip together; one leg will have us leaving dubrovnik via ferry to bari. From there, we need to get to the amalfi coast/ravello. We can rent a car and drive or take the train. the train schedule appears to go into Rome and then transfer to Naples which is fairly lengthy. Has anyone driven this route??
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Do you know that there are buses from Bari to Naples? Looks like the trip takes 3 hours:

http://www.atsviaggi.com/default.asp...ntent=2&mnu=55
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Hi eks, I have a question (and my apologies to the OP) regarding the above link, which is very helpful. I will be making the same trip in reverse ie leaving Positano and heading to Bari to take the overnight ferry to Dubrovnik; the ES train from Napoli to Bari takes 4 hours so I am just curious how it is that the bus is an hour faster? Due to the transfer? This transfer will be quite painful so any ways I can simplify will be great. Thanks!

The reverse trip of Bari to Napoli appears to have a fast train option of 3 hr 29 minutes but this bus is significantly cheaper if I am reading the Italian site correctly.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM

We made that trip (Ravello to Bari) a few years ago, catching a train out of Naples around 2:30 PM for a 9:00 PM ferry to Dubrovnik. If I remember correctly, there were two transfers -- one at Caserta, and one about an hour north of Bari. The Caserta connection, I believe, caught the train out of Rome.

When in Bari, make sure that you get your passports, tickets, etc. stamped properly at the ferry check-in terminal BEFORE you go to the ferry dock, which is a five-minute bus ride away. The ferry personnel may direct you back to the terminal for further processing if you don't have a stamp or something that they want to see.

Another tip: If it's the same ferry we took, it arrives at Dubrovnik around 6:30 AM. We stayed on the ferry for the next stop, which was Korcula, and had this beautiful town to ourselves for a couple of days. Backtracked later to see Dubrovnik and arrived there at a more civilized hour.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Yes, that sounds like the same ferry I have researched, arriving at 6:30am in Dubrovnik. You make an excellent point Metlc, which I hadn't thought of. How much further was it to travel to Korcula? Also, thanks for the tip on the passport issue.