Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Bought a Claim (and received a refund) under the "Cancel for Any Reason" Provision of their Trip Insurance - Need quick response please!

Has Anyone Bought a Claim (and received a refund) under the "Cancel for Any Reason" Provision of their Trip Insurance - Need quick response please!

Apr 30th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Need a quick response please!! (sorry about typo in title which I can't seem to change - should be - Brought a Claim.)

I am scheduled for a business meeting abroad 2 weeks from tomorrow. I would like to make a mini-vacation out of it and have my husband join me after the meeting for a few days. We are planning to go to a resort (actually in Central America but I'm posting on the Europe board) that requires 100% nonrefundable payment since the trip is coming up very soon. My problem is that it is reasonably likely (50/50) that the date of my business meeting will change which will screw up our plans - we'll need to change our flights, days at the resort (and there may not be availability on the new days), intracountry flights, etc. Or maybe cancel the vacation portion of the trip entirely.

While I will get reimbursed from my work for changes in my flight, my husband will not and we will also be out for 100% of the cost of the resort if we need to cancel.

I am thinking of taking a gamble by booking everything today and buying
trip insurance with the cancel for any reason option. As of tomorrow the trip will be in 15 days (the min amount of time to add the cancel for any reason option) so I need to make my decision quickly. I have bought insurance from Travel Safe through www.insuremytrip.com with the cancel for any reason coverage before, but have never needed to use it.

I am wondering if anyone else has bought this coverage and how easy it was to make a claim and get your money back?

Apr 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM

I think it will be problematic that you are actually booking a different trip for yourself than your husband. I could be totally mistaken, but under these circumstances, I think you'd have to buy separate policies.

Also, "cancel for any reason" seems to refer to having to cancel your entire trip - at least two days before leaving home - not modifying your travel plans as you go...

Apr 30th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Too much uncertainty for me to book everything so decided to wait until my dates are certain and risk not getting the resort/flights we want. I am curious about people's experience with this though as I have the insurance on another trip for this fall.

As far as my husband and I having different trips, he is flying there on a different day than I am but the rest is the same.
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Seriously, it's essential to read the certificate that comes with your policy, understand the definitions of terms, review the covered reasons for each type of coverage - and the exclusions - and familiarize yourself with the restrictions and requirements.

You have to be very careful not to be presumptuous or make assumptions.

Example: Your 9:30 PM connecting flight, the last of the day, is canceled due to weather and you are rebooked for 7:30 AM the following morning. You have trip interruption and trip delay coverage with a benefit of $300. You book a $150 hotel room and take a taxi there then back to the airport the next morning for a total of $50. You are covered?

Depending on the details in your certificate, you may not be covered when a flight is canceled due to weather, unless the airport is closed for 24 hours, or not at all. You may not be covered unless the delay is more than 12 hours. You may be covered, but for a maximum of $100 per day. You may be covered but required to submit "Original Common Carrier Report that verifies the cause and duration of the delay". Do you know how/where to obtain this?
May 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

DJKbooks, how have you been able to view the certificate before you purchased the policy? I wouldn't want to buy the policy if I didn't like the coverage.
May 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM

A few years ago I was traveling with a some friends and several had sick relatives so they wanted to buy insurance. I called several companies on www.insuremytrip.com and they sent the certificate for us to look over. After reading the "fine print", they picked the one they wanted.
May 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Most of the policies offered on insuremytrip.com do state their "lookover" period. It seems like 10 days to review the policy is pretty standard.