Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to the Musee D'orsay during the renovation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris this summer. It's hard to tell from the museum's website what exhibits are or are not viewable beyond just the 1st and 2nd level. The 5th floor is closed and if I remember correctly that is the level with the large clocks, the Little Dancer, among other things.

If I recall correctly, the best of their Impressionist exhibits were on the 5th level.

Have they moved some of their more well known works to levels that are open? If not, is the museum in such a state of disarray that it is best just to pass on the D'orsay on this visit?
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM

When I was there in February, most of the impressionist works had been moved to temporary galleries on the 1st and 2nd floor. Far from ideal viewing circumstances, but you could see them, anyway. It wasn't overly crowded when I was there, but I imagine if the temporary galleries were really jammed, it wouldn't be worth it.

-Kevin
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 01:19 PM

I've been there a few times in the last few months and despite the 5th floor being closed and the most famous Impressionist paintings being on loan I think the museum is still well worth a visit.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Ditto what FMT said. I was there in February and was wanting for nothing when I left. I barely noticed anything was going on, actually, but then again, my brain tends to get into an art "zone" and I don't notice much else. ;-)
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I'll be with a 9 and 8 year old and wanted to make sure they would be able to see works of art that they are familiar with.

My daughter's favorite book when she was 4 was "Degas and The Little Dancer" and wanted to make sure she could see "Marie."
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Hotel de Ville is having a special Impressionism exhibit. I think some of the paintings will be here. I hope to see it in late April.

Hotel de Ville Impressionism Exhibit 10 - 6 p.m.

http://www.paris.fr/accueil/accueil-...746_port_24329
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
kja

Thanks for raising the question, Ryan, and thanks for the information, Images2 - looks like a wonderful exhibit that I might otherwise have missed!
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM

I don't know exactly what is on loan but it appears as though at least some sculptures by Degas are there, if that is important to your daughter.

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/visit/v...eum-today.html
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Last September, I was going to go there but I found out at the entrance that they no longer allowed cameras and because of the renovation, the terraces which looked over the Seine were closed.

So I didn't go in. I had wanted to take pictures of the interiors, especially the ceiling and then take twilight pictures from the terrace.

Instead, took pictures at the Louvre and other museums. Sainte Chappelle, one end of it had scaffolding covering the windows so that was disappointing too.