HAS ANYONE BEEN TO MALTA?

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 01:21 PM
Cathy

HAS ANYONE BEEN TO MALTA?

Am intrested in knowing about travel to Malta. Would January or February be a good time to go? Would 7 days be enough time to visit this island, or should more time be spent here? Are there any campgrounds?

Thanks!

Cathy

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 02:07 PM
CJ

My husband and I just returned from a med crise and one of the ports was Malta. We docked in Valletta and took a tender to Malta. The Maltese people speak many languages but if you can say a few words to them in the natve tounge you'll have new best friends. There were plenty of meseums to visit and a nice Co-Cathedral(St Johns) after being there for 4 hours we got quite bored with the island. Everything closes down from 1;30 TO 4:30 eveyday and nothing is opened on Sundays. Now you say you are camping thats a different story. Rick Steves should have some answers on that one. Good luck

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 02:08 PM
CJ

My husband and I just returned from a med crise and one of the ports was Malta. We docked in Valletta and took a tender to Malta. The Maltese people speak many languages but if you can say a few words to them in the natve tounge you'll have new best friends. There were plenty of meseums to visit and a nice Co-Cathedral(St Johns) after being there for 4 hours we got quite bored with the island. Everything closes down from 1;30 TO 4:30 eveyday and nothing is opened on Sundays. Now you say you are camping thats a different story. Rick Steves should have some answers on that one. Good luck

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 04:42 AM
Timur

I spent a week last September there.
Wonderful place. Actually late autumn or winter is not recommended because of rains and chill. Although
some people from northern countries still can swim in such conditions.

As for me September seems to be best. Not so many tourists. You can easily find a room.
I'm not sure about your age and what you want from Malta. We used to spend all nights at Paceville's bars and discos. It looks so safe and friendly there.
Public transport is good. We did a lot of walking between Saint Julians, Paceville and once to Valetta and other quarters which the local call towns.
Food is also O.K. Each day we tried different places and each one was more or less O.K.
So, go there for a week and enjoy the trip. Nothing special but I think you'll like it.

Timur.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 04:50 AM
Paul Rabe

My wife spent a year in Malta as a Fulbright Scholar. If you have ANY questions about that island nation, feel free to e-mail me directly and I will either answer it or send it on to her.

BTW, winter months tend to be pretty wet and miserable in Malta; fall or spring might be a bit better.

You COULD spend a week in Malta, but it depends on what interests you have. If you want large, white, sandy, sunny beaches; you may be a bit disappointed!

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 10:43 AM
Kelly Pfyffer

My husband and I are both in our late twenties and are thinking of traveling to Malta in September. We like the bar scene, enjoy mingling with the locals. We also enjoy exploring during the day. My husband is a history nut and I enjoy the beach. In your opinion would we have enough to do for a week or ten days?

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 12:03 AM
George Holt

There's plenty to see in Malta in a week. Valetta (the capital of the island) has some interesting buildings and museums but I agree its only good for a day or two in a one or two week holiday. I think a walk round the ramparts is a must. En route you pass the war museum which has a fine collection of WWII memorabilia (not everyones thing, but I enjoyed it) and further round the war memorial with its huge bell and symbolic burial at sea. The old palace has a fine collection of arms and armour. The co-cathedral is a fine building with an unusual clock on its outside wall.
The only sandy beaches I know of are in the north west corner of the island, other beaches range from shingle to downright rocky. I've only visited in December so I cant speak for how crowded the beaches get or what the sea is like. Malta is quite a good spot to get a taste of scuba diving, but probably not for the folk visiting in January. You can also take cruises round the coast.
Spend a day visiting the neibouring island of Gozo. It may be most convenient to buy an excursion for this as there are many interesting sites on Gozo and the tour will whip you round these sites very efficiently.
Most of the churches in Malta are lavishly decorated. The rotunda church at Mosta is an unusual round design.
As Paul Rabe pointed out the winter months are not very reliable weather wise. I've been twice in December and been quite lucky. From my point of view the weather in December, though cool and sometimes rainy, is much less miserable than London at that time of year.