Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Has Anyone Been On Trafalgar's Tour Of Spain?

Has Anyone Been On Trafalgar's Tour Of Spain?

Jun 21st, 2001, 04:32 AM
Nancy

Has Anyone Been On Trafalgar's Tour Of Spain?

Greetings Everyone! Have any of you been on a Trafalgar tour in Spain. I am considering the "Spanish Discovery" tour for the month of November. Thank you for your response.

Jun 21st, 2001, 07:32 AM
Julie

We took a tour in Spain and Portugal with them in February of 2000. It was very nice, around 14 to 16 days. I forget how long exactly because we always stay extra days on the back end.

Madrid has so much to see. If possible, you should try to stay an extra day or two on the back end of your trip.

What do you specifically want to know?
FYI, even though we loved the trip, if this is your first trip to Europe, we always prefer Italy.

Jun 21st, 2001, 08:10 AM
Joanne

Hi Nancy: We have never taken a bus tour in Europe (except for days trips), but my brother and sister-in-law took their first trip to Europe with Trafalgar and a tour of Spain (I don't know which tour) in late April/early May and absolutely loved it. They said their tour guide was excellent and "bus mates" were congenial and easy to get along with.

We prefer to travel on our own, but they had a wonderful trip. To each their own. Joanne

Jun 21st, 2001, 04:15 PM
Nancy

Hi there! I've done tours in England, France, Italy & Germany. But I have always wanted to go to Spain. The dates didn't work out at the time. And being on many different tour companies, in different countries, it has been difficult to choose which one would be the best for Spain. I have narrowed it down to Trafalgar & Globus. I have used them in the past, but not in Spain. I figure someone with more experience than me, about Spain, would be able to help me. Thank you.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 08:28 AM
Julie

I haven't been on a Globus tour so I can't compare the two. But it seems that we stayed at the same hotels and that the other tour groups left earlier in the morning than Trafalgar did.

Also, I read on this board that the same parent company owns Trafalgar and Globus that is why they use the same hotels.

I really enjoyed the Trafalgar tour in Spain and would recommend it. But I can't say whether it is better than other tour companies for the same tour.

But I was told by people on the other tour (Spain/Portugal/Morocco) who we kept eating with that the visit to Morocco wasn't worth it. They said that they didn't enjoy the Morocco part of the tour at all.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 04:46 PM
Nancy

Julie and Joanne, thanks for the info. Have a great summer.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 11:20 AM
Marjorie

Hi Nancy! We had the most delightful 2 weeks in Spain last November, on Trafalgar Tours. Spain was absolutely enchanting. We plan to go back this fall/winter. The museums, palaces, nightlife, beaches, cuisine and shopping were superb. The people were very friendly and hospitable.

Jun 30th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Melodie

just to clear up any confusion...Globus is the "less expensive" arm of Trafalgar..this means for the most part, your hotels are not situated centrally in town; more budget oriented. Go for the Trafalgar Tours option,.

Melodie
Travel Agent

Jul 6th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Nancy

Marjorie & Melodie, Thank You!

Jul 6th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Linda

Marjorie, we're going on a tour to Spain in November of this year. I'm curious about the weather. Our tour does Madrid, Seville area, and Costa del Sol. Were these the places you visited? If so, how much temperature difference was there between Madrid and Seville? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jul 6th, 2001, 08:54 PM
hmh

We took the Spain, Portugal, Morocco Trafalgar Winter Break in Feb. and were very pleased. I believe that both Globus and Trafalgar have similar itineraries, as we have taken tours with both companies in the past and as someone above mentioned, both are often in the same hotels. Globus, as far as I know, is not part of Trafalgar, as someone mentioned above. (Unless they are part of a conglomerate.) Its less expensive tours are called Cosmos. sometimes, Brendan Tours, which is marketed in the US and elsewhere, sends their clients with Globus. On several of our Globus tours, this was the case. Trafalgar Tours are the mid-priced ones between Insight and Trafalgar Cost Saver. I think that the itinerary and cost is more of the decision-maker, than anything else. That is our deciding point. We do, however, try to make it possible to stay some extra days, if at all possible, to have a chance to see a bit more on one plane ticket. We did this in Madrid, in Feb.

Jul 9th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Marjorie

Hi Linda! These are the approximate temperatures for the month of November, in the following cities: Madrid 41-55, Seville 50-68, Costa del Sol 53-70 degrees. You can also request an excellent informative Spain Tourism Kit from www.OkSpain.org Just go to this site and click on "contact us", then click on the closest email address to your area. Send them the email requesting all info on all the cities you are interested in. Their literature consists of lovely small books, maps and magazines which are extremely helpful. I adore Spain. I hope you will too. Have a wonderful trip!

Jul 18th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Jade

I just arrived from a Trafalgar Tour to Spain, and it was one of the best trips that we have ever been on. I would highly recommend it. Spain was just beautiful and so cultural. And the food was delicious. You'll have a marvelous time.

Jul 28th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Rick

Julie ([email protected]), why did you not like Morocco? We are planning a group trip in November.

respond to email address please

Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:03 AM
Phyllis

We went with Trafalgar on their "Best of Spain and France" tour. It was wonderful!The only complaint was the hotel in Seville...no window,no a/c,like a closet!Everything else was top-notch !

Aug 19th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Linda

We took a Far&Wide / Grand European tour through France and Italy and were very disappointed in the location of the hotels in Paris, Venice and Nice. The bus was very (VERY) uncomfortable and many of the people very unpleasant. Since returning we've received many email about other companies through my website. The one that has been recommended often is Insight. We'll research that when we start to plan our next trip, or do an independent one. See our photos at www.farandwidefiasco.com

Aug 19th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Dan

I've been on the Trafalgar tour of Spain as well, and really enjoyed it. I'm not really a fan of bus tours, but it really was a great way to see the best parts of Spain in a limited amount of time. One suggestion, Be sure to price the tour with one of the Discount Travel Services before paying full price. We used a company called Pennsylvania Travel, and saved quite a bit of money compared to what others paid. Enjoy the trip!!!

Aug 20th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Carlyle

Melodie, I own 3 travel agencies and I cannot understand why you would state such a hideous comment as to "Globus is the less expensive arm of Tragalfar". Trafalgar is a British owned Company, and their less expensive division is called Cost Saver. Globus is an American owned company, and their less expensive division is called Cosmos. Trafalgar and Globus are not affiliated, and they are in the same price range. Cost Saver and Cosmos would be geared towards budget travelers. Also, Globus is celebrating their 75 years in travel Anniversary and is offering great prices on their tours this year.

Aug 20th, 2002, 12:57 AM
brian

I believe this melodie gal is the same one that was dissing out rubbish on the caribbean board regarding cuban travel. She's an ignorant canadian travel agent that never knows what the devil is going on. Pity on the poor fools who have dealt with her. She's always trashing americans on her other posts.

Aug 20th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Susie

We did the Globus tour of Spain 2 years ago and highly recommend it. We had a great hostess, the deluxe motorcoach was very comfortable, the hotels were very nice, and the restaurants were delicious & festive. The spanish scenery and culture was beautiful and memorable.

Search this Thread