Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually spotted a fodor's pin while traveling abroad yet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 12:25 PM
justcurious

Wondering if anyone is actually wearing them? <BR> I have one, and am wondering about all the talk the U.S. government has put out recently regarding terrorism in Europe and for Americans to keep rather low key while abroad for safety reasons. I am not an American and do not want to be mistaken for one, so I am thinking of not doning my pin for fear of some freak spotting it and linking it to an American company. Am I crazy or what? <BR> Ok, really I just am beginning to feel like a real nerd for even contemplating wearing this thing, or rather my friends have ridiculed me for wanting to wear it in the first place. Just a few of my own thoughts, what about you?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:04 PM
StCirq

Haven't spotted a Fodor's pin, but haven't really been looking, either (too much great scenery), but we did have a chance Fodorite meeting in a tiny restaurant in Bayeux last week, and at the American 4th of July celebration at the Picpus Cemetery on July 4 we ran into several people from the Delphi Francophile Board and enjoyed the ceremony and a drink afterward with them. I suspect if more people get interested in finding each other, it will happen.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Art

Hey, lets wear them to our regional GTG's. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Howard

To: justcurious <BR>I think you're letter your imagination (or paranoia!) get the better of you. Do you really think a terrorist is going to look at the Fodorites' pin and have some violent reaction? <BR>And, as far as your statement, "I am not an American and do not want to be mistaken for one".....well, on second thought, I won't comment on that!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Art: <BR> <BR>Hello buddy...when is ours in SF? Did I miss it? When is the next one? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Oaktown

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Betsy

Hi Oaktown <BR> <BR>Search this thread for the latest SF Gathering Info: "First San Francisco Fodorite Gathering." You haven't missed it--it's July 26. Hope to see you there. If you have trouble finding the thread, e-mail me.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Thyra

Correct me if I am wrong, but I never read that Fodorites HAD to be American.. I can recall quite a few Europeans who respond regularly... the pin is SOOO tiny after all, it's not like wearing a bohemeth Ford Motor Company logo's on your pants.. with a 2 ft american flag across your chest... but just so that no one can say I am Anti-American.. there is NOTHING WRONG with wearing the above mentioned outfit.. however it is likely to be much more obvious then a 3/4 inch push pin. I think how you are treated in Europe has a lot more to do with how you behave then anything else.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Hi Betsy: <BR> <BR>Thanks! I hope to make it. I do not have a pin but oh well! <BR> <BR>THYRA: I would doubt that this pin is for Americans only???? How on earth would one verify citizenship etc...over the internet? This just doesn't even sound "right" that a travel site would discriminate like that. I never heard that the pin was just for Americans... <BR> <BR>If true is their a blackmarket/ clientele for knockoffs??? <BR>(THATS A JOKE) <BR> <BR>My Best <BR>Oaktown <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Thyra

Hi O.T, perhapes I didn't word that correctly... What I meant, was <BR>how could a person on the street see a Fodor's Pin and assume that the wearer was American? Aren't they for everyone? <BR> <BR>I was attempting, poorly I admit it, that the pin isn't just for Americans... mea culpa... but it's flippin' humid here in L.A. Were supposed to be a desert. <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:35 PM
elvira

Anyway, "fodor" doesn't exactly stand out as an American word - looks more German or Flemish to me. <BR> <BR>Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep...

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Mary

This is for just curious about the original question. I wore the fodors pin when we left for our vacation the middle of june. However the pin sticks thru the holder and I could feel it poking me, so I took it off and put it on my backpack, where it fell off somewhere, but I still have the holder. And I would sometimes look for pin wearers especially in cafes, and never saw one. By the way we were all over Turkey, not Italy or France where it seems the majority of posters write about.