Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has any stayed at De Lausanne (9th Ard)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:16 AM
je

Any comments, good restaurants in the area etc. Going in April. Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:32 AM
topping

Halo? Anyone out there.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Eye Spy

Jae: I remember your post from a few days ago. As I had written to you, you will have NO problem whatsoever in finding suitable restaurants for any budget in the area of town in which you are staying. Closer to the Opera, you will see some huge places, a Pizza Hut and many others. For some authentic Alsacian choucroute (Sauerkraut), try the Taverne Kronenbourg. Great seats for people watching and excellent quality food in nice atmosphere. Closer to Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, up to Place Saint-Georges and rue des Martyrs, you will stumble across a host of restaurants as well with an authentic neighborhood feel. And if you walk towards Les Halles/Etienne Marcel (about 10 minutes south of your hotel, there are some good places too. If you would like some specific brasseries I patronize where the French cuisine is good and with great atmosphere, let me know on this thread.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Joann

Eye Spy. Once again, thank you.<BR><BR>Any specific names will be great. I'll never remember them but will print these posts.<BR><BR>The one restaurant that someone recommended when we went to London turned out to be the best.<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Eye Spy

YOu probably want to reserve either night before or late morning that day. Remember, a bistro or even<BR> brasserie (better word) is rather a misnomer. Many places are bistros, but the<BR> quality can vary ENORMOUSLY. If you wish to eat in a decent bistro or<BR> brasserie, then I would reserve. Best times? About 8:00-8:30pm. Not earlier<BR> because Parisians eat after 7-8'ish and many places don't serve food earlier<BR> than that. Naturally some of them do, others don't. Usually the woman will take<BR> the seat on the 'banquette' and above her are the mirrors. The men usually will<BR> sit in the chair opposite. For real atmosphere, book after 8pm (as a general courtesy. You even will probably get better service from the Ma&icirc;tre d'H&ocirc;tel. Some GOOD<BR> QUALITY Parisian brasseries I like are:<BR><BR> Bofinger (off of Place de la Bastille -- Parisians know it well). Metro: Bastille<BR><BR> Brasserie Lipp: 151, Boulevard Saint-Germain-des-Pres (across from Cafe de<BR> Flore). BOOK THIS ONE PROBABLY ONE DAY IN ADVANCE OR TWO EVEN!!! Get a table downstairs where all the VIP's sit. Many<BR> would think upstairs is where they would be but this is not true. You will love<BR> this place.<BR><BR> Chez Georges on rue du Mail by the Bourse (Stock Exchange). Metro: Bourse<BR> (quieter area after business hours)(this is very close to your hotel. Very well known and great cuisine.)<BR><BR> Chez Tante Louise: Metro Concorde I believe on the rue Boissy d'Anglas.<BR> Excellent.<BR><BR> La Coupole: boulevard Montparnasse. Metro: Montparnasse or Vavin. A lot of<BR> expats in the 20's and 30's congregated here. Not too touristy but a little<BR> because it's famous.<BR><BR> La Tour du Montlhery, rue des Prouvaires at the Metro: Les Halles or Chatelet.<BR> Great traditional restaurant (not a brasserie). Casual, down to earth place (not<BR> even menus, just a chalkboard). Very authentic French cuisine. You will love<BR> this place but get there early because it fills up quickly. If you don't get a place<BR> right away, you will usually be invited to have an aperitif at the bar, like a Kir. That goes for<BR> any brasserie. The Md'H will remember you and come to get you. You<BR> won't have to go and inquire all the time if a table is free.<BR><BR> I could list more but this is an idea. The ambiance is half the fun and don't be in<BR> a rush. When you sit down, you can request &quot;une carafe d'eau&quot; right away and<BR> you will not be charged (it's tap water but completely fine and you can keep on<BR> ordering it during the meal. You will notice the French always have water on the<BR> table.). Bon App&eacute;tit !