Montmartre Restaurant Recommendation

Oct 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Montmartre Restaurant Recommendation

My daughter, who is studying in Paris, loves the Montmartre area. When we visit her next week we would like to take her to a nice restaurant in that area in the 25-45Euro range. Any suggestions?
Oct 13th, 2004, 12:48 PM

I don't have any specific restaurant recommendations, but remember seeing several in the streets around Place du Tertre. Also, I'm wondering how safe you'll feel walking from the restaurant to the Metro stop after dinner. I've not been in the area after dark, so I don't know if it's still bustling with activity. If not, you might be less than comfortable. Someone tell me I'm wrong, please.
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Two restaurants I love in the area are Chez Toinette, on rue Germain Pilon (which runs down perpendicular to rue des Abbesses) and La Queue du Chat, on rue Tholozé (running up from rue des Abbesses towards the Moulin de la Galette).

Chez Toinette is a small place that serves great Provençal-inspired food. Always fresh, with an interesting menu that changes regularly and a great (short) wine list. Never been disappointed there. La Queue du Chat is a friendly restaurant with a laid back atmosphere and reliable menu (good fish choices), decent value and very friendly service (once we complimented the candle holders on the table and they gave us two to take home with us!).

Have taken friends and family to eat at both places on several occasions. The area around rue des Abbesses is fine in the evenings, full of activity and life (cafés, restaurants, a few late-night grocery stores, etc., quite a mix of locals and tourists).
I'd avoid the area round Place du Tertre though - it's not unsafe, but it's pretty touristy and rather overpriced.
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Restaurants in that are suck. I suggest a short trip on the Metro to another area!
Oct 13th, 2004, 02:28 PM

There are some really nice restaurants in Montmartre, including Beauvilliers which is very upscale. In the price range that you're looking at, smaller places such as Le Restaurant and Le Petit Robert (both recommended by Budman on this site) would fit the bill.
Oct 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM

I recommend La Preuve Par Neuf at 5 rue Damremont in the 18th. We went there in July, and found it to be a very friendly place with fresh, lovely food. Three-course, fixed price menu only, changes daily. I want to say it was about 30 Euros each. Phone: 01-42-62-64-69.
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM

au contraire richardab...I had some great escargot at a restaurant right on the square...yummy..I did not order a full meal but those little suckers were great. Can't remember the name of the place. They have mime fields up there so be careful.

Search this Thread