Harz area and Bacharach am Rhein

May 13th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Harz area and Bacharach am Rhein

Back after 7 nights in Goslar/Harz and 4 nights in Bacharach on the Rhein.
Weather: often rainy and cool.
Only one "washout" day, when we daytripped to Hameln.
I liked Wernigerode far more than Quedlinburg.
We happened upon a medieval knight's festival at Schloss Wernigerode-great fun!
I discovered the MOST delicious 'banana' beer in the Harz area! A wheat beer with banana nectar-ubiquitous in the Harz area!
Got to experience Hexenfeste (Walpurgis night-witches festival) in Goslar--lovely!
Introduced to the delicious treat of Kaminenstreizel- a thin dough rolled in the shape of a chimney, rolled in your choice of sweet toppings. Mine was cinnamon- sugar! Mmmm.
Hiked 3 hours up to the Brocken peak-windy and cold- meeting costumed witch characters coming out of the woods, and crossing the former line between East and West Germany!
Forgot that May 1st was a National Holiday (Tag der Arbeit-Labor Day) with all stores closed!
We had two beautiful apartments in historic buildings, through booking.com.
I forgot a washcloth again, duh!
Woolworth stores live on in Germany!
We met so many lovely people again- an older gent that continues to paint beautiful scenes of Bacharach after his stroke-using his nondominant left hand...an 80 year-old former Goettingen professor that travels annually with a bunch of his contemporaries for a weekend every spring... A couple running the sweetest little cafe for 55 years, set to retire later this year in October...
May 13th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Curious as to why you preferred Wernigerode? I haven’t been to either, but on my radar...
May 13th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Happy you enjoyed the Harz and Hameln, both are good choices. A very pretty part of the world. Wernigerode has the spires with a connecting bridge, doesn't it???

Lavandula
May 13th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Sounds like a great trip! We liked both Wernigerode and Quedlinburg but for some reason also preferred Wernigerode. Quedlinburg had a lot of construction going on at the time so perhaps that had something to do with it. We really liked the Schloss at Wernigerode as it seemed that it had been lived in more recently than other castles we've visited. Not too many tourists there and knowing some German comes in handy at times.

Thanks for writing, Mokka4, keep it coming!
May 13th, 2019, 03:47 PM

Which cafe?
May 14th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Cafe Rustikana on Mainzerstrasse in Bacharach will be closing in October (if that was your question).
Approximately 7 tables charmingly crammed into a space the size of my living room, the owners live upstairs!
Prefered W'gerode likely because we visited Q'burg on a Sunday, with shops closed. Though Market Square is well renovated, the periphery looked a little bereft and industrial.
May 15th, 2019, 03:15 AM

I was afraid it is the Rusticana, where we have eaten several times. We will be there in Sept. so I guess we can still eat there and say ‘good bye’ to Astrid and her husband
May 15th, 2019, 12:22 PM

oh, what a shame we never made it to Bacharach to eat at the Rusticana.

But we did go to Goslar, which we loved, not least because having read stories about the Harz when I was learning German at school I never thought that I'd actually get there.
As for the debate between Quedlingburg and Wernigerode, we visited the former and stayed in the latter so I'm not really in that good a place to comment, but for us the biggest advantage of staying in Wernigerode was being able to take the train up to the top of The Brocken, and walk back down - the opposite to you, Mokka! I think that it's possible to get the train from Quedlinburg but it takes about 5 hours!