Search

Harry Potter Souvenir London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
Eme
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry Potter Souvenir London

Hi,<BR><BR>I will be in London next month and would like to purchase some Harry Potter souvenir's for my little brother. Can anyone recomend a store that sells some. I was in London last year in February and did not see anything except at Gatwick and that was just candy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:36 AM

Hi Eme!<BR>Any toy or department store in London will have Harry Potter stuff. There are no real &quot;souvenirs&quot; because Harry Potter is not a town or tourist site, just books made into movies. You can however go to London's Kings Cross Station and go to the platform (I forget which one, a fictional 9 3/4?) where the Hogwarts Xprss scenes were shot and have your photo taken under the platform sign.<BR>Happy Travels,<BR>Rick
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:54 AM

The Kings Cross Station doesn't really look the way it's described in the book. I heard Rowling was actually thinking of Euston Station. You could buy a copy of the British version of the first book. It hadn't occurred to me to do this in London, but I bought one when I was in Rome.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:40 AM

Walmart. He'll never know the difference. It's all made in China anyway.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:50 PM

I am sure Rowling was not thinking of Euston - its a modern (60s-70s), but was thinking of St Pancras - right next door to Kings Cross with the big Victorian tower and derelict grand buildings - now being done up?
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:38 PM
vcl

When we were in London last fall, Sainsbury's, the supermarket, had liquid bathsoap in Harry Potter bottles.<BR>It cost about 5 GBP, didn't leak in our suitcase and our grandson loved his.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:55 PM

What? No paddington bears in glasses and gown holding a wand. If I lived in London I'd be cobbling them up and flogging them on street corners.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:10 PM

Rowling is indeed on record as saying that she realized that she was thinking of Euston when she wrote about Harry's adventures. I don't recall any description of it as being particularly picturesque -- indeed, every part of the muggle world is supposed to be crass and unartistic. The part of King's Cross that contains Platforms 9 and 10 is a new wing, off in the back separate from the main building. The filming was done at Platform 4. I would think that ANY souvenir of King's Cross Station, such as a postcard, would be welcomed by Potter fams.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
CT

Hi Eme!<BR><BR>There is a Warner Brothers Store at Gateick Airports South Terminal. I was there last June and they had quite a few different Harry Potter items. I bought my 12 year old nephews (twins) a couple of Harry Potter Robes. They were similar to the robes worn in the movie. Very long with hoods and embosed lettering. I see you were at Gatwick, but not sure if you were at the South Terminal where the store is located? Hope this helps!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 08:45 PM

A terrific souvenir is one of the smallest - go to Boots for Harry Potter plasters (Band-Aids). I bring them back every trip and all my Potter-nuts friends - even the adults - love them.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Eme
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the info. I will be staying at the Thistle Euston so I will definetly go to Kings Cross and take a couple of pictures for him. Though I am flying into Gatwick this time I am flying out of Heathrow and hopefully they will have a store there. I do remember seeing a Disney store or maybe a Warner Bros store last time on our Big Bus tour. I might try to stop there. I just really wanted to get him something in London that wasn't available anywhere else. Thanks again.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Not a lot of people know this but....<BR><BR>THe Hogwarts school scarves are actually supporters scarves from Bradford City Football Club.<BR><BR>You could try to get one of those.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>If your brother is a fan of the Harry Potter BOOKS, then you might try to pick up a copy of one of the early British printings. These have different cover artwork, which is sort of cool if you are a true Potter fan. In this same vein, one book (and movie) has a different title than in the US versions: &quot;Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone&quot;. <BR><BR>Before Warner Brothers purchased the rights to the series, there was virtually no Harry Potter merchandise. So you probably will not find many souvenirs in London other than the &quot;official&quot; merchandise that is available almost everywhere. <BR><BR>Dave White<BR>[email protected]<BR>