Harry Potter Experience worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only have two days in London with our boys -- ages 6 & 8. Is the Harry Potter Experience worth it? I am not worried about never making it back to London as my husband and I travel often on business but my kids have never been. Interested in everyone's thoughts.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Are they HP fans? Have they read the books? Seen the movies?

It really is about the movies... I assume you are talking about the Warner Bros. studio in Leavesden?

My 9yo is a HP freak - has read the books multiple times and the same with the movies - and watches them and reads them in weird orders, frequently skipping around chapters and books. He loved the Studio tour. My older girls - liked it.

Warning: it is a pain to get to if you haven't rented a car. We had a car rental, so it wasn't a big deal - we booked the first tour of the day (10am) and we were happy to be leaving 12:30ish as the crowds were rolling in. It will really take the most of a day.

I would say skip it - there are so many other amazing things to do in London for kids that age.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:43 PM

I just went there in June with my 17 and 19yo DDs. It was a "must see" for them and it was so worth it, but HP was a big part of their childhood. They grew up with the books and the movies. Honestly, we took trips when they were your boys' ages and they don't remember that much. With so little time in London and so many things to do there that won't take a big chunk of your day, I would pass.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is your kids' first time in London. From what you say, they'll have plenty of other opportunities to visit HP on future trips. Two days, jet lag, all the hundreds of other good thing for kids to do in London (w/o having to travel all the way to Watford). I'd think it would be a terrible use of your limited time.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies! What were your must sees with the kids? We were thinking a cruise down the Thames, The Tower of London and maybe changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace?
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not the Changing of the Guard IMO. It takes forever - the crowds are very large and the kids will have a hard time seeing anything unless you get there really early and stand right next to the fence (and then they'd miss seeing the band/Guards marching around the Wedding Cake. If you stand farther out so see those - then you can't see what's going on inside the fence.

But the Changing of the Horse Guard would be great - small crowd, and up close/personal w/ the horses.

The Tower for sure.

The London Transport museum - great for little boys.

And taking a boat out on the Serpenitne in Hyde Park.

The Natural History Museum.

The London Eye.

The British Museum - especially if they are into mummies and 'stuff'

Normally I'd say Hampton Court Palace, but I'd personally wait for a trip when you have more time in London.