Search

Harrogate, England

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrogate, England

Hi!

Has anyone ever been to Harrogate? I was born there and am planning an overnight trip while in England this fall. Does anyone have any ideas as to some sightseeing we can do via public transportation? I am open to any and all ideas!

Thanks,

Kat
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:57 PM

I live in Harrogate.
Loads to see and do via public transport - can you give me some more info about your likes and dislikes.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Morgana I live in Yorkshire. Train system still runs Harrogate to Leeds and York, Bus companies still roll but depending on the exact dates some of the summer specials fall off in Autumn.

More info please
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll defer to Morgana and bilboburgler since they are locals, but I've visited the area many times and can probably help a bit too.

But you need to tell us what sorts of things interest you. If you are only staying one night that will limit your options quite a bit.

Where are you arriving from and heading to after leaving Harrogate? That could make a difference since some sites might work better on the legs before and after harrogate.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:11 AM

Nah, I'd listen to Janis, she's brilliant and talks far more sense than most of us locals!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM

And a different view point. A few years back my wife and I took the train from York on a Sunday. We found the town mostly empty, no shops open and few people. We walked to the tourist information center and when we asked what could we see or visit. The only thing they came up with the local bath! We returned to York, walked the walls and had a good time. However, I am sure the locals can tell you what is of interest in the town.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all for your responses. A little background for you. I was actually born in Harrogate. My dad worked for the US government there back in the 70's. So, this is really an exciting opportunity for me. I was thinking about doing a Sunday/Monday trip, but it sounds like Sunday may not be the day to go as much will be closed! At this point we are looking at the 1st week of October. We were thinking the 3rd and 4th, but maybe I will change that to the 2nd/3rd or 4th/5th, if we can work it in. I am so excited to go! As for what we like, dislike, we both like a good bit of history! I would love to see some of the old castles etc, but would also love to just walk the city and take in the beauty!

Again, thank you for all of your help! Who knows maybe we will see those of you who live there while we are in town!

Kat
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM

while you are in Harrogate go to Bettys tea shop for afternoon tea.
There is also one in York they both do the best afternoon tea and cakes all yorkshire old fashioned recipes great baking.
There will be a line
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dalesperson.... I forgot to mention we would be coming from London and returning that way as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM

Harrogate is still a town, not a city! I don't think you'll find too much has changed, and this is partly due to The Stray, the 200 acres of protected green land that surrounds the town itself and gives it such an open feel. As these acres can't be built on it does give the town a feeling of staying the same. There is a new shopping centre, but that probably won't detain you long. The Royal Baths have been recently refurbished, and there's also the Pump Room Museum, Valley Gardens, Mercer Art Gallery, and lots of good restaurants.
www.harrogate.gov.uk/harrogate-1100
www.harrogate.gov.uk/harrogate-987
If you want to head out of town there is an excellent bus service called the 36 which takes you either to Ripon via Ripley (Norman French village and castle) or to Leeds via Harewood. If you want to go to Ripley the bus drives right through the village, feet away from the castle. It'll take about 10 mins from the centre of Harrogate to Ripley by bus.
www.ripleycastle.co.uk
If you want to go to Harewood the bus stops in Harewood village right near the gates to Harewood House if you fancy visiting a stately home. The buses are very regular - here's the website.
www.harrogatebus.co.uk/?subSiteID=12
If you travel to Harewood House by bus you can get a voucher from the driver for half price entry to the house.
www.harewood.org
There are two Bettys in Harrogate, one in the centre and the other one is part of the RHS Gardens at Harlow Carr, just outside the town and a little off a bus route.
As I live in the town I am not able to give you lots of accommodation ideas but one place that friends speak of highly is Lamont House, good location near Valley Gardens and the town centre, but far enough away to be quiet.
www.lamont-house.co.uk
Would love to show you around although I always seem to be at work these days...........let us know when your dates are confirmed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:42 PM

Only extra thoughts were; Fountains abbey might interest any friends you come with but public transport no use that time of the year.

Harlow Carr is big if you are into gardens
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Morgana, thank you so much for your ideas! I was only a year and a half old when my parents moved back to the states, so this truly will be my first trip to Harrogate. It would be great to meet up when we get into town. I will keep you posted on when we are going to arrive.

Thank you again!

Kat
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM

Wow Rogerdodger - were York playing away at Wembley? Sometimes whole towns decant to Wembley when their town is in a final ie Blackpool recently, and then the place looks like a ghost town. I think the Tourist Information were most unfair .... they could have been much more subtle.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM

no one's mentioned Betty's tea rooms - do they still exist?
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM

oh yes, the queue too
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Betty's (the one in Parliament Street) is great for people watching. Probably the highest incidence of helmet hair I've seen anywhere. The food, meh.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM

Sashh - both Dalesperson and I mentioned Betty's!!
We tend to go late morning for brunch and have never had to queue for long, although this is usually a week day. We like the food, but of course you are going for the whole experience (including the pianist of course!!).At the Harlow Carr one you can usually just walk in as it is large and has a cafe part and another section where you can have more substantial food.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful responses! We booked our flights last night, so now on to phase two! Can anyone suggest a great B&B in Harrogate? We are only staying on a Saturday night in early Oct, but would love to find a nice little place to stay!

thanks,

Kat
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM

Try this link for Harrogate hotel listings:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=hotels+...MLQB&mkt=en-gb

or this for B&B's:

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/yor..._specialities/

If your Dad worked for the US in the area in the 70's, did he serve at the Menwith Hill station? If you're going to see it and you obviously won't be allowed into it, it further cuts down on time in the area.

Harrogate is a nice compact little place to walk round, with some good shops. I'm sure that an overnight stay will pass quickly with a trip to Betty's, as eveyone has said. I personally think Betty's is a bit overrated and relies on reputation.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Menwith Hill: she won't have a car and obviously can't get in anyway, but is there a bus route that goes nearby?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -