Happy Hour in Paris

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:43 AM
parisbound

Happy Hour in Paris

It's been a while since I've been to Paris. I'm 30 years old and interested in going to a Happy Hour or two the first Friday night my husband and I are in Paris. We'd like a lively place with(of course) drink specials. Any suggestions?

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:28 PM
parisbound

Anyone?

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:39 PM
TJ

To my knowledge, happy hour is a rarity in Paris. Your best bet might be one of the faux-English or Irish pubs, like Freedom & Firkin off the Champs-Elysees.

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:09 PM
StCirq

I suspect the reason no one is replying is that Happy Hour is an American institution, not a French one. In all the years I've been going to France I can't recall ever having seen such a thing. And there really doesn't need to be one, given that the city is overflowing with cafés and bars and bistros and brasseries where you can get a drink any evening. Perhaps there's an American chain hotel that has a Happy Hour - that's all I can think of. Drink specials? Never seen that in Paris, either - closest thing would probably be a wine bar where a featured wine for the night might be offered at a reduced price.

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Capo

I posted in the "Moules-frites in Paris?" thread that, back in '96, two friends and I went to a few "happy hours" La Gueuze, a bar at 19 Rue Soufflot (between the Luxembourg Gardens and the Pantheon). We also went to a "happy hour" at a wine bar somewhere in the 2nd, so I know these do exist, though I suspect they're not all that common.

There's another bar, quite lively, a few blocks southeast of La Gueuze called "Oz" (as in Oztralia) and I think I recall seeing a "happy hour" sign in their window when passing by.

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Betsy McGregor

As someone has said, Happy Hour is really an American thing. I know an earlier response mentioned some places that might have them. But you, know the great thing about Europe, especially Paris is Happy Hour can be just about anytime. Cafes start getting busy around 5 for drinks with dinner not really starting until 7:00 at the earliest.
If you want to lively areas for that time try the Marais (many good bars on the side streets), The Latin Quarter and on Rue Moufftard there are many small bars, and cafes with inexpensive prices. If the weather's good people are drinking outside into the late evening.

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Ursula

Not knowing in which area you will be staying, it is kind of difficult to give good advice.
Mine would be: Go to one of the fantastic brasseries in Montparnasse, such as "La Coupole", "Le Dôme", "La Closerie des Lilas". Have a glass of champagne or whatever and watch the people.
In Saint-Germain, go to "La Rhumerie" at Blvd. Saint-Germain and have one of the rum specialities. It's a very popular place with Parisians as are "Le Flore" and "Les Deux Magots". Expensive, but definitely a must. Just sip your drink and watch the people.
Quite spectacular, especially with nice weather.

Old May 11th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Fred

I think that in Paris, Happy Hour is in the late afternon when people go out for a sweet. Tea rooms get real busy then with all their pastries. Just try and get into Angelina. For more Paris information e-mail me.

Old May 11th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Harry

Obviously StCirq and Frederic aren't the experts they think they are (and perhaps that's why they're here on Fodor's looking for a new following, rather than over on AOL where everyone knows their limitations). There ARE happy hours in Paris - all over the city if you know where to look. In the 1st, for example, Le Fumoir has Happy Hour from 6-8 with half priced drinks, and at the Banana Cafe drinks are two-for-one during their Happy Hour from 6:30-9:30. If I knew where you were staying or interested in going, I'd list others.

Just because you can't recall, can't think, or don't know, StCirq, doesn't mean something does not exist.

Old May 11th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Capo

Harry, in all fairness to StCirq, she/he said "I can't recall ever having seen such a thing.", not "There is no such thing."

I don't recall seeing a lot of them -- or should I say, signs for them -- either. But, obviously, as you and I and others have noted, they do exist.

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Christina

there are plenty of happy hours in Paris, and not just in faux cafes on the Champs Elysees. There are bars with happy hours around the Etienne Marcel metro stop on rues Montmartre and Tiquetonne (2nd arr), and in bars in the Latin Qtr (Le bateau Ivre is a small bar with on rue Descartes not far north of place Contrescarpe); also some anglo-ish bars (which aren't faux, but Australian or English) near Chatelet metro (Cafe Oz is a popular one but the ones near Etienne Marcel are more French); Mustang Cafe has one on bd Montparnasse (well, that is tex-mex and lots of Americans go there but not only, I've met French guys who go there, the food isn't really too bad if you want a change from French cafe food). I'd also recommend highly La Folie en Tete in the 13th on rue Buttes-aux-Cailles as it's popular and fun for lots of reasons, alternative good, live world music, etc (but they do have happy hour). There is a good lively Belgian beer hall I like near Port Royal metro on bd Port Royal (Academie de la Biere), but I don't know if they have happy hour; Sweeney's is a good pub which cheap drinks on rue Laplace. Finally, I'd suggest you look in the Bars section of www.timeout.com for Paris, they have good reviews of bars and mention happy hours for several.

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:06 PM
parisbound

Thanks all for your input. Harry, we are staying in the Latin Quarter near the Maubert Mutualite metro. Walking distance would be ideal, but not necessary (though I've walked almost everywhere from that location, so I guess that doesn't really narrow it down). Banana Cafe sounds familiar, as does Le Fumoir. What are those places like?