Hampton Court & Kew Gardens

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Rick

Hampton Court & Kew Gardens

I wanted to do a solo daytrip from London to Hampton Court Palace & Kew Gardens and, if time permits Richmond Royal Park. Would be a long day (0800-1800), but it looked to be doeable via public transportation. I was hoping for feedback on the draft plan below:

Train from Waterloo to Hampton Court, then bus to Kew Gardens, then train to Richmond, and finally Tube (district) back to Westminster in London.

Is there a better order of sights or better transportation plan?

Assuming nice weather, is Royal Park and the view back to London worth the time and effort for it to be included in this daytrip? I know its all subjective.

How do you get from the Richmond Train Station to the Royal Park?

Would a better option be to take a boat ride on the Thames from Hampton Court to Kew Gardens. If so, how is this done and how much does it cost?

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:02 AM
ron

I’ve been to all three places, but not on the same day. I wouldn’t have had the stamina as a 20 year old, let alone now. But, if you have it, your travel plan is probably the best.

As to how to get to Richmond Park from the Richmond station, turn left from the station to Hill Street, left on Hill Street, passing the tourist office on your right, Hill Street becomes Hill Rise and then Richmond Hill, which leads you to the Richmond Gate of the park - no more than a 20 minute walk from the station. You get nice views from the park; you will need binoculars to see the dome of St Paul’s through the gap in the trees. Whether its worth while, I don’t know. Does standing on the spot where Henry VIII stood at the time of Anne Boleyn’s beheading evoke any emotion in you?

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:16 AM
michelle

When will you be taking this trip? For an ambitious day trip such as this one it might be best to do it in late spring or summer because of more daylight hours. I've only been to Kew (3 times) and have spent on average 4 hours. It's a pretty big place and best seen through a leisurely stroll. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Rick

RE: Ron

Thanks for the info. Yes, it does evoke (nice word) some emotion. I'll give it a shot if my feet hold out. I always over plan and cut back if I get side-tracked or want to wander a little more.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Rick

RE: Michelle

Thanks for your input. The trip would be in late March. I was concerned about the hours of daylight and if the gardens had much to offer at that time of year. I thought sunset would be around 1800 at that time, but I still have to verify that fact. Have eaten lunch or had tea in or around the gardens?

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 12:22 PM
katie

Maids in Waiting I think is the name of the small tea house on the road that runs alongside the Gardens at Kew. It was formerly Henrys bakery, so they keep it authentic looking and they serve a wonderful tea there! There are also some very nice small places right by the station at Kew.*We have been there many times, friends live in Kew.*
After hearing about the boat ride on the Thames TO Hampton Court from my daughter, I would do that going, and take the train back.
The last time we were in London, it was at the end of March and the weather was great! Sunny and brisk, but we were able to be out and walking every day.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Nick

I lived in Richmond for 15 years and still keep my flat there so I have done all 3 a number of times (but never on same day).

I suggest tube to kew Gardens - walk from Kew end down the Gardens to the Lion Gate which is at the Richmond end (rather than walk in circle back to Kew Gdns station). Walk along Kew Rd towards Richmond (about 10 minutes)and get the 68 bus from Richmond station or just before which goes directly to Hampton Court (about 25 mins). Then get a boat back to Richmond if you fancy that or the bus back and go to the park - but probably a bit too much to do for one day. Richmond is a great park but for a tourist Kew and Hampton Ct would be higher up the agenda. Another very nice park to walk through -with lots of deer is Bushy Park and that is right next door over the road from Hampton Court's maze, not as big or scenic, but very pleasant. You could walk right through there and 10 minutes to Teddington train station to return to London as alternative route.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Rick

RE: Nick & Katie

Thanks for the info and additional options. It will be a rather full day, but we are going to try doing all three.