Halstatt or Berchtesgaden

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halstatt or Berchtesgaden

We are leaving in 3 weeks for Austria and I am fine-tuning the itinerary. Our first three days will be spent in Salzburg. Our last three days will be spent in Vienna. And we will visit Melk in route to Vienna. (We are renting a car.) I had planned on staying in Halstatt for the middle two days so that we could be in a small town on a beautiful lake, visit a salt mine and do some hiking. However, I am wondering if Berchtesgaden wouldn't offer all the same benefits of Hallstatt plus the historical interest of Eagles Nest.
Anyone who has visited both, please advise. If we are altering the itinerary I will need to look for accomodations in the Obersalzberg area ASAP.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM

I've been to both places and have been to both salt mines -- I much prefer the one in Berchtesgaden - crowded but more organized. I think you could find much more to do in two days in Berchtesgaden.

We stayed outside Salzburg and visited Halstatt on a day trip.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Budman:
Thanks for your advice. Where did you stay in Berchtesgaden? I am looking at trying to get last-minute accomdations. Anywhere special you recommend?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM

It's been about 12 years.

Here's a link that might help. http://www.vacationvillas.net/index..../reg_refno/839
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Are you flying into Salzburg and out of Vienna?
If so, consider staying in one place in or outside of Berchtesgaden and from there you can easily visit Salzburg (30 minute drive), do a day trip to Hallstadt(2.5 hours approx)and visit all of the great hiking areas in this Alpine area. In 3 weeks, the weather should be quite warm and I would recommend staying outside of the towns where it will be cooler at night. What type of place would you want to stay in - hotel, guesthouse,etc?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I forgot to include a website "www.berchtesgadener-land.com", click on English and you can get some ideas for lodging. This is a huge area, covering many small towns with many choices for lodging.If you want to be on or near a lake, you might consider the Konigsee area, however, I would avoid staying directly on the lake at this time of year because the area is overrun with tourists and hikers waiting for the boats. In the Konigsee area, any of the lodgings that are located at the bottom of the Jenner chairlift( on the flip side of the Konigsee parking lot) may be a good choice for you.From this spot, you can easily walk to the Konigsee or take the Jenner chair to the top for some great hiking. You can also waste some great afternoons sitting at the bottom of the chairlift area watching the hang gliders come top from the top of the Jenner.
For those who don't mind, you can always go to the Kur and Kongress Haus located in the center of Berchtesgaden town and they will help you to find accommodations last minute. It is the custom in Germany to ask to see the room before you pay for it. Also, during peak hiking season, most smaller places don't like to rent a room for just a nite or two.Good luck!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

EmilyC and Budman:
Again, thanks for your help.
We are flying into Zurich and taking the train to Salzburg. In Salzburg, we will pick a rental car and drive to either Berchtesgaden or Halstatt, and then eventually Vienna. We fly out of Vienna.
Do you recommend Berchtesgaden over Hallstat? And you would recommend driving into Salzburg rather than staying there for a few nights? If it is not too inconvient, I would rather stay in one place for 5 or 6 nights that splitting it up.
I am looking for hotel accomodations in the Berchtesgaden and because we have our two teenaged sons with us, do not wish to "wing" the reservations.
I have read good things about Hotel zum Turken, Hotel Bavaria and Hotel Wittelsbach. Any comments?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:44 AM

I've just skimmed this thread, but it caught my eye because I love both Halstatt and Berchtesgaden. I'd choose Halstatt for the two nights to relax and be captured by that magical place, and I'd daytrip to Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest, Koenigsee) from my stay in Salzburg. I think Halstatt, with its lovely lake, will cast more of a spell between your two city stops. J.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM

I would stay outside of Salzburg and drive in to visit it because it will be cheaper and more comfortable( no air conditioning) to stay in the area around Salzburg/Berchtesgaden. Hallstadt is beautiful too and it can be easily visited in a day trip.
I have stayed at the Zum Turken many times, however, I stopped going there because the rooms are very overpriced in comparison to the rest of the area. You should know that the Zum Turken is quite aways up the mountain and you should be comfortable with the mountain roads.There are only a few nice rooms there and the rest are smaller,older, and with paper thin walls. The Hotel Bavaria and Wittlesbach are in town and I have not stayed at either.We generally stay outside of town because we are hikers.We love the Gasthaus Sonneck ( near the Zum Turken)and any of the small hotels at the base of the Jenner near the Konigsee. Many of the places get filled at this time of year with hikers so I recommend that you move quickly. It will be easiest to pick one place to stay and do day trips to Salzburg and Hallstadt. Good luck!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

EmilyC:
Thanks again for your help. Just today I received via e-mail offers from the Turk, Fischer, Bavaria Alpenhotel and Wittelsbach. The rates range between 107 - 135 euros for a quad and/or 2 double rooms. So, now I need to sort it all out. One surprise, several of the hotels request Visa as the deposit, a credit card I do not own!
I am very disapointed to hear your negative comments about the Turk because that was my first choice. All the TripAdvisor posters rave about the place. The location and mountain drive is not an issue, we spend a lot of time in Colorado and have driven throughout Germany and Switzerland. The old and small rooms do worry me
quite a bit. I will take a look at the
Gasthaus Sonneck.
Please feel free to advise me on hotels, etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Both towns are very pretty, but Hallstatt definitely has the edge because of the lake. Eagles Nest is overrated as a historic place - be aware that it was essentially demolished so that it was less likely to be used as some gathering point for neo Nazis. So nothing much of history to see other than location, one structure and good views. Restaurant up there was built post demolition.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Travelnick:
Thank you for your comments. Now, let me play devil's advocate! Is the lake at Halstatt that much prettier than the Konigsee, located close to Berchtesgaden? In reading about the two towns, it would appear that the Berchtesgaden offers more to do than Halstatt. They both have lakes and salt mines. Berchtesgaden offers hiking and biking in the nearby national park. Plus, of course the remains of Hitlers presence, which include more than Eagles Nest. Overall, the German town seems to me to more interesting for a family with 2 teenagers.
I suspect we will enjoy either place...but which one to visit and which one to stay for 3 days?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Halstatt is an extremely nice place, but I don't think there is enough to occupy 3 days - a day trip was fine. It's not a very large village.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:46 AM

You don't have to just "stay" in Hallstatt. If you have a car, there are many nearby places of interest for day trips including St. Gilgen, Wolfgangsee, Bad Ischl, etc.

At this time of year, both areas are likely to be overrun with tourists, so it may be easier to get accommodations in Berchtesgaden. However, if you can find a room in Hallstatt, that would be my recommendation. It is truly lovely.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM

The Hotel Zum Turken is very historical and if you get one of the rooms with a balcony, they are very nice. However, there are some rooms that are quite small and not exactly comfortable in my opinion. Frau Scharfenberg is very nice, she speaks excellent English. There are bunkers in the basement that you can visit. For the record, there is a new museum located near the bus stop for the Obersalzberg and this museum is very interesting. The remains of Hitler's original house was next to the Zum Turken, however, this area has been cleared now and there is nothing to see on the property.At the top of the Obersalzberg, the entire large house is quite intact and you can take tours in English. If you can find someone to show you the way, you can also hike to Hitler's original tea house which is near the golf course below the Zum Turken.
Both the Konigsee and Hallstadt are beautiful. At nite, Hallstadt is absolutely gorgeous, especially if you are staying on the lake.
The Konigsee has myriad hiking trails around and above it(the opening scene from the Sound of Music). There is plenty of fabulous hiking also in the Dachstein massif which is just outside of Hallstadt.
The Sonneck only has 3 rooms and I would be surprised if there is a vacancy during that time. The Hotel Fischer is run by the brother of Hermann Fischer who runs the Sonneck. The hotel is larger and is located on a quieter street but not directly in the town.
I hope that I haven't confused you too much. Overall, Berchtesgaden will offer more to do - your kids will like the salt mines, you will love Salzburg, everyone will enjoy the hiking!!Good luck and let us know where you decide to stay!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:37 PM

On our trip to germany/austria last summer with 3 teens we stayed 2 nights in Salzburg, two in Hallstadt, 1 in Durnstein and 4 nights in Vienna. We really liked Hallstadt. We did the salt mine tour that the kids liked and ate lunch at the restaurant at the top. We rented kayaks and canoes and paddled around the lake. It was very nice. Two nights was a good length stay. Durnstein is very pretty...while there we did a short boat ride on the river and hiked to the castle. We ate at a wine restaurant outside by the vines. I would recommend staying there...you could also bike along the river. Its a tough choice where to stay...but nice. Good luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM

pad,

I've not been to Berchtesgaden, but you can't go wrong if you direct your rental car toward Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut.

In addition to Halstatt's fine, entertaining salt mine (see www.salzwelten.at), the village itself is beautifully situated, and is especially attractive at night and early morning, when the many daytrippers that frequent the village are not about.

The immediate area is well worth a wander, too, and you'd be well advised to make the short drive to Dachstein Riesen-Eishohlen (ice caves). The caves are a real treat for all members of the family. Your visit begins with a cable car ride that features smashing views of the Austrian countryside. Next, you'll make the rather steep, yet not lengthy, hike uphill along switchback trails to the cave entrance. While in the cave (they were discovered in 1910), you'll receive a tour that'll challenge your stamina, as you'll tramp along more than 600 steps. But no matter, for your eyes will be rewarded with numerous naturally formed ice structures that were, I dare say, wunderbar. Another plus is the tour was presented in English and German, and it was most informative, placing an emphasis on science and history, rather than entertainment. (This, by the way, was in contrast to the Hallstatt salt mine tour.)

Best of luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:07 PM

If your main reason for going to Berchtesgaden is to see Hitler's Eagle Nest it is not worth the trip. The views are great but the site is just one big restaurant. Hallstatt is absolutely gorgeous - one place in Europe I could have lived in for a while. From Hallstatt I went to Berchtesgaden and did take the salt mine tour which was pretty good. But if you can visit a salt mine near Hallstatt, stay there.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

What a predicament! Both locations have their loyal fans. My goals in visiting either place are to be in the mountains, do some hiking, spend time on the lake, do the salt mine and ice cave tours. I realize the Eagles Nest site has been stripped, however there are other sites around the area that can also be visited.
If we can get 2 rooms at the Hotel Zum Turken which is located over Hitler's bunkers, that's where we will stay. And we will drive to Halstatt for a visit.
Thanks again to all, especially EmilyC and Budman for their numerous postings.
I should know our fate today!
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Such as predicament as you say! I'm sure you'll have a fabulous trip and you will want to go back!
An enjoyable easy first hike would be to take the Jenner chair either from the Konigsee or at the half way point(just down the road from the Sonneck and zum Turken)and walk back to the mid point. You'll have great views of the Konigsee and all of the Berchtesgadener land below! Go to the Sonneck for lunch or supper - Herman is a great cook!A beautiful spot for dinner or lunch outside is the Salzbergeralm restaurant ( halfway down the mountain from the zum Turken). You'll have fun finding it but it is a perfect spot to site for awhile.When you go to the Konigsee, get there early as the crowds do buid up. There are some great hikes on the opposite side of the lake near the monastery - they are more difficult but well worth the time. The Wimbach gorge is on the flip side of the Konigsee and it's a great hike in to the Wimbach Schlossmaybe 1.5 hours) or for a real test out to the Wimbachgrieshutte(This is about 22km )Save the Enzianbrennerie for a rainy day as well as the salt mines - they are fairly close to each other. When you go to Salzburg get there as early as possible because it gets very crowded.There are usually free concerts every summer afternoon on the gardens of the Kurhaus downtown B'gaden.One more thing - there is a huge outdoor swimming pool (Hallenbad) just outside of town - your kids will love it on a hot summer afternoon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -