Hallstatt Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:48 AM
ira
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hallstatt Hotels

Hi all,

I currently have reservations at the Gasthof Simony and the Gasthof Zauner in Hallstatt.

Simony is 80E dbl with bkfst and lake view.

Zauner is 102E dbl with bkfst and lake view.

I recall a post somewhere that suggested "stay at the Simony, eat at the Zauner". Good advice?

Your suggestions as to which hotel to keep are appreciated.

Thanks

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM
ira
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM

My advice is old so this is more for topping then anything else.

"Stay at the Simony, eat at the Zauner" was exactly what I did with a friend in April of 2000. It did work out very well.

I thought the Simony was a very pleasant hotel with some cool antique furnishings in the halls and rooms along with newer stuff. My dinner at the Zauner was excellent as I recall. I did love sitting on the Simony's patio, sipping beer and gazing upon the lake.

This was my last "winging it" vacation in Europe. My friend and I had so much fun in Hallstatt we stayed a second night. We hiked up to the waterfall. Went over to the salt mine tour in Altaussee because Hallstatt's wasn't yet open for the season. Rented a little electric boat to tool around the lake that was a hoot. The boat afforded the most beautiful photo ops looking at the mountains and town reflected in the lake.

During your visit check and see if there's still a dead espresso machine used as a flower planter in front of a shop on the main square. I thought things like that only happened in the hills of the heartland here in the US.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks, Indy.

I'll look into the electric boat and look for the planter.

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM

Ira, due to a problem with our room at the Seehotel Gruner Baum in May 2005, we ended up spending one night each at the Zauner and the Simony which I detailed somewhat in my trip report.

Our room at the Zauner was a little rustic in decor but we had a balcony with a lake view similar to what you have reserved I imagine. Their restaurant is purported to be very good (big on game and fresh fish I believe) but we only had breakfast which was ok but nothing special.

The next night we stayed at the Gasthof Simony since it was a holiday weekend and the Zauner was fully booked. Our room had a shower and sink but no toilet (around the corner). The Simony is a little "tattered" and in need of some updating. (Some might feel that adds to its charm.) It is one of the oldest buildings still in use in Hallsatt I believe. The owner, Suzannah, is a lovely elderly woman who has been known to "forget" reservations so if you decide to stay there, be sure to reconfirm your reservation. Breakfast at the Simony was very good. Suzannah makes fresh schnecken rolls every morning in addition to all the other breakfast staples. She also serves hot chocolate that is delicious.

The third night, we were able to stay at the Gruner Baum and it was heavenly! The hotel was newly renovated (except for problems with our room and a couple of others resulting in our not being able to stay there our first two nights) and right on the lake. To make up for our inconvenience, they gave us a junior suite with a large terrace overlooking the lake. I believe a double with lake view at that time was 115E but you get a 5% discount if you pay cash.

Hope this has been of help. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM

Don't know if this will be of any additional help, but here's the link to the hotel review I did for our trip in May 05:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34625154
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thank you all.

We have decided to stay at the Simony, for the breakfast, and have dinners at the Zauner and Gruner Baum.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Ira:

Do you have a fax number or email for Gasthof Simony? I am unable to find much on this pension. Was your experience there a good one?