Search

Hallstatt !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 08:15 PM
Anne

Hallstatt !

I did a search on this town but am sorry to find that most of the previous references to it have been deleted from the database I would appreciate any advice on the best way to reach Hallstatt from Salzburg, as well as recommendations on accommodations with beautiful views. Hearing everyone rave about this place has made us try to squeeze it into our itinerary. Thank you!

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 04:22 AM
christy

Hi Anne, I visited Hallstatt last summer and it was gorgeous. I travelled from Salzburg by train (about two and a half hours with one change) which stops across the lake from the village. The boat across waits for the train. It's a rather crowded tourist place but for a good reason! The views of the lake and the village hugging the mountains are amazing. It's worth a trip, I'm sorry but I can't help with accommodation. I went back to Salzburg late the same evening. <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 05:33 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Anne, They have their own site which is <BR>very good and has several hotels. We <BR>will be there in early May for 3 days <BR>and hope to explore the entire area. <BR>Try this url--www.tiscover.com/hallstatt <BR>to see if this helps. If not, search again under "hallstatt" and you will find lots of info. Good luck.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 07:06 AM
Anne

Thank you Christy and Bob. Christy I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Hallstatt so much. I am curious if you or anyone else knows what time the earliest ferry leaves Hallstatt to the train station in the morning? We are squeezing the town into our itinerary and unfortunately it has to be rush-rush-rush from there. And Bob, thank you for the web site addy- and enjoy your visit in May! I took a look at it and emailed them in my rusty German, and am looking forward to a response. Too bad they don't give hotel descriptions because we would very much like a room with a nice view. If anyone's had a nice accommodation experience there, I would appreciate hearing from you! Thanks so much everyone. <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 09:05 AM
wes Fowler

Anne, <BR>Consider the Seehotel Gruner Baum, Marktplatz 104 Tel: 06134 263; Fax: 06134 420. It has 18 rooms which either face the lake or the charming village square. It also has a lakeside terrace for dining. Whilel in Hallstatt, be sure to visit the Pfarrkirche and the ossuary built into the mountainside in its cemetery. Also visit the Prahistorisches Museum which offers interesting displays dating from Hallstatt's Iron Age beginnings and the Volk Museum which is an intriguing folk museum. One admission covers both museums.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 11:25 AM
Anne

Thanks for your recommendations, wes! I will look up that hotel and try to visit those museums you mentioned. <BR> <BR>p.s. guess the server was just down that first time I did a search on Hallstatt because now I come up with a number of hits.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 07:12 PM
maryann hensinger

my husband and i are going to be in austria in april and we are planning to visit and possibly stay in hallstatt. we will be driving from germany...from reading the posts here, i'm wondering if we can drive to hallstatt with our car, or do we have to park somewhere and take a ferry? Could u please e mail me your response!! thank u

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 03:17 AM
mustangs81

MaryAnn-This past Nov, we parked in the town parking lot. It was across the street from the grocery store. When we were there (off-season) there were numerous parking options in town.