Halloween weekend in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After performing various searches through Fodors and the internet, I've not read anything current (in the last year), regarding Halloween weekend in Florence. We made our reservations without realizing this was Halloween, All Saints Day weekend. So, I'm curious how this will affect crowds, restaurant availability, planned festivities, etc.

Any input is appreciated.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Halloween means nothing in Italy, but All Saints Day (Nov 1) is a huge holiday when people travel across the country to visit with family and remember family members by visiting cemeteries. Lots of people will be traveling by train that weekend. If you plan do travel by train, be sure to reserve your seats early.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you'll see any impact on Halloween day/night, but the "holiday" is becoming popular with the little kids.

The last time we were in Italy, we were in Rome on Halloween and saw many small children in costumes walking with their parents in the early evening. I don't know if they were going to parties or just enjoying wearing the costumes. The week prior, we were in several small towns and noticed many displays of Halloween candy and baked goods in shop windows that were decorated with black cats and witches.

As ellenem noted, All Saints Day is entirely different.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM

My Italian friend's impression when I asked about the few Halloween decoration I saw: Halloween is being promoted in Italy as a way for parents to give kids another gift--Halloween candy or themed items--promoted by savvy shopkeepers. It's developing into a consumer celebration. Costumes are much more a part of carnevale and so are not prevalent yet. And no one does any trick-or-treating.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. How does do you believe All Saints Day will impact us this year if we intend to hang in Florence, maybe a bus ride to Siena? Also, are there any special steps we should take relative to museum going and lunch/dinner? Thanks.