Reload this Page >

Halloween in Germany?

Search

Halloween in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:11 AM
ted

Halloween in Germany?

Do the Germans celebrate Halloween? If so, are their different events going on in the country?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:20 AM
stanberys2

We're oing to be there October 31st. I'd like to know these things, too<BR>Thanks

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Ann

Germans do not celebrate Halloween. When we lived there in the 80s, Germans were quite curious about our Halloween events; now, I noticed, there are even jack-o-lantern decorations in some florist's windows. But no "trick-or-treating." The Germans have a reverential All-Saints tradition, with the beautiful cemeteries in the villages lit by candles in red votives, and the graves mounded with white flowers. They also, in the region where we lived, celebrate St Martin's Day in November, when the children march in a parade behind a mounted man playing the role of St Martin. The children carry lanterns, the village band usually marches along, playing, as well, and at the end of the parade route, there is a bonfire with lots of food and drink for the village. Lovely holidays, both.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:52 AM
mauld

I was in Stockholm the last week of Oct, last year and was told Holloween was becoming almost a universal holiday. While children didn't 'trick or treat'--- costumes, pumpkins, black & orange colours, scarey masks etc were in abundance.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:26 AM
xxx

Halloween is all American, and if there are pumpkins and other decorations in Europe, they are just that – commercial or just-for-fun decorations.<BR><BR>At least in Lutheran parts of Europe it is still All Saints Day, a day to remember your dead ones. And that means flowers, and more importantly candles in the graveyards.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Hans H

Halloween is becoming more popular but it's not ingrained in the culture. You will find Halloween decorations and Halloween parties in clubs but no city or village wide events. St.Martin is the time when children go for little presents although we had the grace to sing for them instead of extorting them from strangers

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Russ

There is something called "Walpurgisnacht", a minor celebration that has come about as a result of some legends surrounding the Brocken Mountain in northern Germany. Supposedly, witches have their annual meeting with the Devil himself on the mountain and fly around on brooms and pitchforks casting spells. I think towns like Goslar partake. The witch-klatsch takes place on April 30 every year.<BR><BR>A popular variation of this event takes place in Oberwesel on the Rhine River, on the same day. It's called "Weinhexennacht". A straw "wine witch" is burned in the town square to symbolize the demise of the previous years wine crop and to bless the new one. There is music, dance, a bit of costume and drama, fireworks, and a young local lass gets crowned as the new wine queen. Oh yeah... there is a little wine at these events too.<BR><BR>Some photos: www.weinhexenmahl.de

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:33 AM
yep

2 years ago I happenned to be living in Germany when Halloween rolled around... and lo & behold, I got all kinds of kids dropping by looking for candy and I was caught unprepared. Although it's not as commercial as in the US, it IS "celebrated" at least in Cologne. There were all kinds of people who dressed in costumes for parties all over the city. For better or worse, Halloween's made it to Germany.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Hans H

In Cologne? I'm reasonable sure that you witnessed St Martin. The Saint's day is at 11.11 but the St.Martin parades and the time when the children go around vary from district to district. Weren't they singing: <BR><BR>D&auml; hellje Zinte M&auml;tes, <BR>dat wor ne jode Mann.<BR>De j&ouml;f de Kinde K&auml;ezje, <BR>on stoch se selver an.<BR>Butz, butz, widde butz, <BR>butz, butz, widde butz,<BR>dat wor ne jode Man.<BR>Hier wohnt ein reicher Mann,<BR>der uns vieles geben kann.<BR>Viel soll er geben,<BR>lange soll er leben,<BR>selig soll er sterben,<BR>das Himmelreich erwerben.<BR>Lasst uns nicht so lange stehn,<BR>den wir m&uuml;ssen weitergehn, weitergehn. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
yep

Yep, and I think they were singing that annoying song Laterne laterne...

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Mom

I can verify that Halloween is celebrated on Oct. 31 in Cologne, mainly as a big street party. My son was living there last year. I called his cellphone and spoke to him that night. He was riding the train into town during the call. Every once in a while, I would hear a "mooing"sound. I finally asked him what that was about, and he informed me he was riding the train dressed as a cow (!!??!!!)and his fellow passengers were "calling" to him. I asked "Why a cow?", and he replied that he hadn't known he needed a costume and it was all that was left!