Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Half board" option at hotel in Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a strange question, but when you take the half board option at a small hotel/guest house type establishment, do you typically get any choice in the meal? One of the hotel's we're considering (Hotel Haus Lipmann) is a little out of the way, so we thought half board might be a good option. However, although we eat chicken and fish, we don't eat other meat.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Haus Lipmann in Beilstein back in May. The food there was excellent. However, there are several other restaurants on either sdie of the Haus Lipmann that we found to be good too. Though small, there are a number of good restaurants and cafes in Beilstein.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Haus Lipmann and really liked it. The food was exceptionally good, and one can eat on a vine-covered terrace in the front of the hotel. I don't recall what we ate, but I do remember that it was very good. The management is excellent. When they saw that I was walking with a cane, they offered us a room on the second floor instead of the third, which we originally had. My recollection is that half-board is usually dinner, but I could be wrong.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi M,

>when you take the half board option ... do you typically get any choice in the meal? <

No.

Some places may let you choose from a prix fixe menu, but usually the cook makes up the whole meal for you.

Usually, if you tell them that you eat only chicken, fish or vegetarian they will accomodate you.

Have a nice stay.

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:36 AM
aggiemom

My Mom and I also stayed at Hotel Haus Lipmann in May for two nights. It was an excellent place and I, too, highly recommend it.

One night we had a beef stew (only beef, no vegetables) and I think pork one night. I have a menu for HHL around here somewhere. I'll dig it up and let you know what was on the menu.

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:42 AM
aggiemom

Yikes! The menu is all in German. A quick glance, though, I see they have an Eel Soup. I also remember having a chicken salad (okay - nothing special) and I see a tuna salad, also.

I'll get my dictionary and translate some more. My German is very poor.

There are several other small hotels within a few steps of HHL. They may have different food although I don't have first hand experience with them. It is a lovely area.

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Don't bother with the half board. As others have pointed out, there are other dining options in the immediate vicinity. Though the HHL restaurant is excellent with a lot of variety.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your help! I guess half board isn't for us, so it's good to know there are other options.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:18 AM

We stayed there in July. As I recall we just paid the room rate and as guests of the establishment we could get the meal of the day for 13 euro per person (incl dessert, wine, soup, entree)- we could take it or leave it each day. We took it both nights and it was just great.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 11:35 AM

MareW,

It would seem to me the obvious/logical thing to do would be to contact the hotel directly. They would certainly know.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
aggiemom

MareW -

If you do decide to call HHL, know that Herr Lipmann speaks excellent English and is most accomodating.