Haircut in paris

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Jen

Haircut in paris

My first visit to Paris. I would love to get a haircut there. I only know a few phrases and some basics about pronunciation. Does anyone have any tips for beauty salons or do you reckon this would be too difficult for one without French?

Further on the fashion front, does anyone know what sorts of fall coats are women wearing in Paris. Just curious.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:21 AM
sandra

When my Mother and I are in PAris we got to the Jean Louis David shop off the Champs Delycee I think it is there flag ship shop and they do a wonderful job. They all have a grasp of english and anyway they are fabulous, unfortunately the ones in New York City are terrible

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Nancy

Jen if you really want a special treat make an appointment at the famed Alexandre. I went several years back and it was out of this world. It is very Parisian and you will see some very elegant women in there. It costs but if you want a splurge I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Have a great trip.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Christina

You shouldn't have any problem if you go to a salon at one of the major dept stores, either, they are well-used to foreigners--Galeries Lafayette, for example.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Melissa

I don't have a recommendation but do have a funny story. My brother and I were in Nice when we happened upon a salon having a haircut special, so he went in. The stylist looked like Alec Baldwin and could not speak much English, we cannot speak French. He DID understand, however, when my brother said, "Can you make me look like Antonio Banderas?" --the guy shot me a grimace that had me cracking up so hard! Anyway, with only THAT for directions, the guy did a great job at turning my brother's ratbite haircut into a distinguished businessman's look.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Betsy

Jen, when the search function returns tomorrow, type "Paris and haircut" into the text search box, scroll down to France in the country search box, and press "find." There are a couple of threads on this subject in the archives that should be helpful to you.

I picked a busy salon, also Jean Louis David, on rue St. Dominique in the 7eme and walked in on a Saturday morning. An hour later I walked out with the best haircut of my life. Raphael was the stylist. The cost for wash, cut, blowdry was about the same as here in CA.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 02:34 AM
francesca

I can recommend my hair dresser who is talented, charming and speaks English. He's in a great neighborhood for exploring Paris, too:
Emmanuel Fagueret
17 rue Mouton Duvernet
Paris 14 (metro Denfert Rochereau or Mouton Duvernet)
tel +33 1 45 40 65 15

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Jen

Merci!!! It was lovely of each of you to answer and you've given me several ideas.