Search

Hair Rollers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hair Rollers

I'm going to Greece. I use two sets of hair rollers. It says 120 volts. I was told even a converter won't help. Any suggestions? I have to use electric hair rollers.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 10:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Do not take anything listed as 120 with or without a transformer. Either invest in a dual voltage set(s) in the States (realizing that they will not work quite as well as it does at home) - or - wait til you get to Greece and buy a European set(s) there - or - change your hairstyle so you don't need them.

Them's your choices . . .
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 01:43 PM

no, you don't have to. No one has to use electric rollers. If you must use rollers of some kind, take regular ones (the kind that are sort of velcro with little brushes sticking out, but have holes in them), and then focus the hair dryer on at least a medium/high setting on each area, and that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do your whole head. Then let them sit a while to cool before taking them out. Would be a lot lighter weight, also.

I know because I use them occasionally for a special event (but usually just let it dry naturally or blow dry), and I have fairly long and thick hair, and it works for me. In fact, it is kind of easier and the rollers stay in better than the electric ones.

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 02:08 PM

I don't know how long your hair is, but you can also try heatless overnight. Kitsch heatless rollers work pretty well. Use a satin bonnet to sleep with them.

Personally, not only would I not want to fuss with curling hair while traveling, I'd also not want to fuss with the amount of product I'd need to also take to maintain the style, regardless of method. Especially with trying to put them in carry on limits and/or having to pay checked bag fees for full sized containers. YMMV.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 02:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you do take regular rollers and a hair dryer -- again it will have to be dual voltage (and not work as well) or one bought in Europe/
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 06:04 PM

https://petergreenberg.com/2007/04/1...n-electricity/

The above article explains how the voltage and wattage works and converters versus transformers and plug adaptors. High wattage appliances like hair dryers need a transformer, but hot rollers might be fine with a converter. Dual voltage appliances need only a plug adapter suitable for the country (or area) you are visiting, but they often do not work as well.
I traveled with a friend who managed to blow fuses in one hotel, then burn her hair dryer up in another.

The thing is, transformers are heavy and even converters are extra to carry. Why do that?
Honestly, if you are doing a lot of traveling where you will need them, go straight for 220 volt hot rollers and plug adaptors for countries you visit. Several companies sell them in the US for about $40.00.

If it were me, I would just wait until I got to the country, head to the nearest store and purchase them there. They will be cheaper. They will work. Even the plugs will be correct. Just consider them part of the cost of the trip. Keep them for future use or give to someone there to donate to charity.