Search

Haggis rules!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:15 AM
rabbie burns

Haggis rules!

In honour of Burn's night, which as many of you know, is celebrated in Scotland on January 25, and usually involves much haggis, neeps, tatties, whiskey, bagpipes and poetry, I'd like to propose a toast, and wish all the Scots (and everyone else out there) a very merry Burn's Night.<BR><BR>&quot;Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face,<BR>Great chieftain o' the pudden race.<BR>Abune them a' ye tak' yer place -<BR>Painch, tripe or thairm.<BR>Weel are ye worthy o' a grace<BR>As lang 's my airm.&quot;

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:17 AM
rabbie burns

Oops, make that &quot;whisky&quot; - don't want to get blasted for not knowing my Scotch from my Irish...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Michael

I went to a Bobby Burn's night at SHAPE HQ in Belgium about 12 years ago. Both the haggis and the dancing were very memorable.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:50 AM
John

I once was told (by a CPSU member, no less) that the biggest Burns Supper in the world used to be held in the Great Hall of the Soviet of the Nationalities in the Kremlin. Can you see Brezhnev in a kilt? <BR><BR>Warm-reekin, rich...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Lynn

Wouldn't that be Burns' night, not Burn's?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Sheila

Technically, Lynne, it's Burns. No apostrophe at all. If itw as meant to have an apostrophe it would be, technically, &quot;Burns's&quot;

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Mike

Oh, my God, the grammar lady has arrived.<BR><BR>I believe it's Burns' by gosh. In fact, I'm sure it is.<BR><BR>I love you Bobby!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Wee Mousie

And I'm sure it's Rabbie, or Robert, not Bobby, by gosh.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:45 PM
icithecat

Since it is almost 3:00 AM in Scotland right now I assume the annual Haggis hunt is over. <BR>Unless of course there are a few pit lampers out still.<BR>All you fast running Haggie out there can breathe a sigh of relief.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Arliss

Actually, according to the official website, the Haggis Hunt ends at 3PM (not AM) on the day of Burns' Night. There's still plenty of time to legally bag one in time for supper.<BR><BR>http://haggishunt.com/

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:26 PM
icithecat

Keep running my little Haggie.<BR>Strew bottles of whisky behind you if you can. <BR>That should slow them down.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Rich

<BR><BR>Robert Burns:1759-96<BR> <BR>Is there for honest poverty<BR>That hings his head, an' a' that;<BR>The coward slave - we pass him by,<BR>We dare be poor for a' that!<BR>For a' that, an' a' that,<BR>Our toils obsure, an' a' that,<BR>The rank is but the guinea's stamp,<BR>The man's the gowd for a' that.<BR> <BR>What though on hamely fare we dine,<BR>Wear hodding grey, and a' that;<BR>Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine,<BR>A Man's a Man for a' that;<BR>For a' that, an' a' that,<BR>Their tinsel show, an' a that;<BR>The honest man, though e'er sae poor,<BR>Is king of men for a' that. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:39 AM
ploughman

O wad some Power the giftie gie us<BR>To see oursels as ithers see us!<BR>It wad frae mony a blunder free us,<BR>An' foolish notion