COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

availability of benzina

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Carol

availability of benzina

I am taking my teenages to Italy and we will be renting a car, I know the fuel is expensive but this is the best solution for us, for the freedom and to cover a lot of ground. I'm wondering about the gas stations. Are there pumps in small towns? How hard is it to find gas in out-of-the-way places? I have also read that people are robbed at gas stations...? Any information much appreciated. Thanks

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Alice Twain

There are gas pumps everywhere and yoiu will hardly find a small village that does not have a gas station. In particular in the areas where there are little train connections people use the car a lot. Even in little populated areas you will hit a gas pump every now and than, every village has one and a few more can be found even on medium sized roads between one village and the other. Only villages with less than 300 inhabitants might have no gas pump ^_^ As for the "robbery" thing, this may happen, although it is not that common, at self-service pumps at night in the cities (Milano, Rome, Naples, Florence), never in the villages and countryside and absolutely never when there is an operator. Even self-service pumps in Milano robberies are so uncommon that a woman can fill her tank alone in the middle of the night without getting scared.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Alec

As Italians are in love with their cars, fuel stations are everywhere. There are still many 'mom-and-pop' type stations and full service is the norm. The only problem you may have is that most of them even in towns close for a long period for siesta, around 1-4 pm, and during that time pumps are either locked or available through automatic dispensers. They take cash (notes only - not too creased), but foreign-issued credit/debit cards may not (and no US fuel cards).
You will save money by getting a diesel car, which is quite common. Diesel fuel is known as gasolio.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Alice Twain

Just one question. Can "siesta" be considered an English word? I mean, has it been adopted by the English language? So many people refer to the "pausa pranzo" as "siesta" that I wonder if you (I mean the english language people I have met) think it is an Italian word (while it is Spanish) or you use it also in other contexts as an English word. Just a lingustic curiosity, nothing else.
In any case, the "1-4 pm siesta" is usually the "1,30-3 pm lunch break".

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Carol

Thanks very much for your replies... Good news!