Hadrian's Wall

Aug 13th, 1999, 11:10 AM
Nancy

Hadrian's Wall

I'm planning a trip to Scotland in late November and am interested in exploring Hadrian's Wall. I'm looking for comments of people who've been there...places to stay nearby, things which shouldn't be missed, etc. I'm mostly interested whether the wall extends east, because I'll be in southeast Scotland and hoped for a jaunt over. Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

Aug 13th, 1999, 12:06 PM
Maira

Hi Nancy!---We did a similar tour about two years ago and enjoyed it very much. Beautiful countryside surrounding the 73 miles lenght of Hadrian's Wall across Northern England, coast to coast from the Solway Firth to Newcastle Upon Tyne. We stayed at a wonderful small 16th century B&B, The Abbey Bridge Inn across the street from the Lanercost Priory and the Naworth Castle with a beautiful nature trail along the Irthing River (sitting next to an old bridge over the Irthing River). The owner and his family (The Sayers) were absolutely friendly people with impressive knowledge on the Hadrian's Wall history. The Inn has a pub/restaurant (an old 17th century shop tavern)that seemed popular with the locals (reminded me totally of the "Cheers" bar). We enjoyed our stay inmensely. I believe you can inquire about reservations at http://www.hotelworld.com/nonsubscri...e.fcgi?n=s9140
The address is: The Abbey Bridge Inn
Lanercost, Brampton Cumbria, Tel No: (016977) 2224.

There are a lot of stops, monuments and exhibit centers along the 73 miles of Hadrian's Wall. To me, two of them stand out; Birdoswald Roman Fort and Housestead (good museum; wear comfortable shoes as there is a walk from the parking lot thru a sheep farm field (it'll make sense once you get there...) . Keep in mind that November hours may be different and places do close earlier.

BTW, also close to the Abbey Bridge Inn and very interesting points were Lanercost Priory (http://www.cumbria1st.com/History/lanpri.htm) and Naworth Castle (http://www.britain.co.uk/pages/N/NAW82HFiA.html).

I could fax you info on the Inn, the Priory and Hadrian's Wall maps, museums and monuments. E-mail me if you would like more info.

Aug 13th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Nancy

Thank you for the recommendations. After I posted the note, I found hadrians-wall.org with superb information about the wall, the museums and the area. I appreciate the recommendation of a place to stay and what you found interesting. Thank you!

Aug 13th, 1999, 06:57 PM
Kittie

Nancy,

Maira has wonderful information!

I asked the same question on 5/24/99.
Do a search for Hadrian's Wall to see the terrific replies I got.

Kittie

Aug 26th, 1999, 05:10 PM
Bill

Hi, Nancy. The fort at Housesteads, near Hexham, is the best place to see the wall. Plus they have some gen-yew-ine Roman coins for sale. I bought for 12 pounds a silver denarius from the reign of Trajan in 98 A.D.

Aug 27th, 1999, 09:37 AM
Ann

Nancy, if you'd like a really special place to stay while doing the Hadrian's Wall trip, look into the Langley Castle Hotel in Hexham. The URL is

http://ris.niaa.org.uk/portcullis/langley.htm

It's on the expensive side, but what a treat! My husband insisted in staying in a castle for at least one night, and this fulfulled his request! Do check it out.

Aug 27th, 1999, 09:42 AM
Ann

Nancy, the URL I gave you at first is not the official one for the Castle. Use this one as it's the Langley Castle's own website and has all the information and photos you could possible want. Also, it's not quite as expensive as I'd rememberd it. Different season I suppose.

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/langleycastle/index.htm

Hope you'll check it out.

Aug 28th, 1999, 05:49 AM
steve

We visited Hadrian's Wall this summer. Stayed at a very nice B&B in Haltwhistle. Went to the big fort at Housesteads, then walked west along the wall. It was a great way to get a good idea how the wall was. Although is is not as big as it was, many places it ran along the tops of cliffs, making a very good barrier. If you are up to walking 6 miles (round trip) , walk west from the fort until you come to a big tree in the middle of the wall

Aug 30th, 1999, 06:09 AM
RTB

If you do go to Birdoswald, Beware The Cows! I'm serious. There's a long section of the wall that abuts a pasture, and as my friend and I were walking alongside it, a herd of cows came galloping towards us. I know this sounds like a harmless Ben & Jerrys or Gateway commercial, and we were even laughing at the time, but let me tell you, it felt like Pamplona for a minute there. There was one alternative to being trampled, and although we felt almost sacriligeous, we took it: we climbed up on Hadrian's wall, just at cow eye level, and ran back to the museum as fast as we could! Needless to say, we were not at all surprised when, not long after, the biggest headlines in Britain were devoted to Mad Cow Disease....

Aug 28th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Maira

To the top for the person who is asking for info on Northern England (sorry, I can't recall the name!!)

Aug 28th, 2000, 03:30 PM
JMM

I would recommend staying in Corbridge - a lovely little town south of the Wall - lots of places to eat and just outside of town are Roman ruins and museum of Corstopitium (sp?)

Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:01 PM
Topper

To the top for Ira Hodson.

Jun 1st, 2001, 03:07 PM
topper

to the top for Kam.

Jul 9th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Topper

ttt for Karen

Feb 25th, 2009, 07:45 AM

I took a train to Hexham and stayed in a B&B in this nice smallish town - then i took the train to another station closer to the main sights of the wall (which can not be discerned in many places or at least where i looked for it) but i would advise taking Hadrian's Wall bus from Hexham (or Carlisle or Newscatle i think) as it stops at places rather remote from public transportation - or do your research better than i did - i walked miles and saw two old forts but never the wall or the best part of it - just some boulders overgrown.

http://www.northumberland-national-p...answallbus.htm
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM

PQ - any reason you topped a 10 year old thread??

Feb 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Yes i had a very valid reason janisj - just to see you carp about it - Janisj - You've been punked!
Feb 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Actually Janis dear i saw a post about "Doing Hadrian's Wall from York" post and when i tried to find it later by searching for Hadrian's Wall this came up so i posted the info on it i would have on the York Q post thinking that person would see it.

See Janis you are always attributing mechant (French) motives to me - very unfairly - like when you constantly accuse me of copying and pasting - something i have never done unless i give attribution - you can easily see this by Googling any of my many words posted here. I ask you to stop these bogus charges - you are Fodor's acclaimed British expert so why taint yourself with charging things about me that just arenot true and rather slanderous - what did i ever do to you? Please think seriously about this - i am always open to corrections and criticism of things i write and which you often do - that's fine - but bogus charges are beneath you i would hope.
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM

ummmm...is it okay to go back to Hadrian's Wall if you two are quite finished?

We have very much enjoyed walking the Hadrian's Wall Way--which runs from Tyneside to the Solway Estuary. You can walk the whole thing (84 miles) in a week or do it in chunks by using the HW bus (unreliable I've heard though. There are Sherpa companies that will transport your bags to your next accommodation (and help you plan them) if you don't want to carry a pack.

It is a walker's walk as there are some quite hilly parts but you can just choose not to walk those parts if you like. There is very little roadway walking on the trail. We used this site to plan: http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/

cheers,
Opus
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:18 AM

opus: "ummmm...is it okay to go back to Hadrian's Wall if you two are quite finished?"

Sure - but there is a current thread that needs the info now, not this one posted 10 years ago.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-from-york.cfm

She will really appreciate your input/advice . . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO