Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Had to switch from e-tix to paper: what can I expect?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll spare you the boring details, but Lufthansa was good enough to make a change in my schedule at no charge...only catch is they had to invalidate my e-tickets and will now issue paper ones.

Haven't used paper in an age, and have never used them to Europe, so am wondering what I can expect. Do I have to go to the ticket counter at each leg of trip?

For what it's worth, itinerary is Dulles to Munich to Rome, returning via Frankfurt (with only an hour between flts!)

I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:45 AM

When you check your luggage at the ticket counter (not curbside), you'll present your paper tickets and be given boarding passes.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Leslie, thanks for your response. But we are going to really try to bring only carry-on for this trip. Do we still have to go to the ticket counter, or can we head right for the gate?
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:20 AM

It may vary by airport and airline (I've never flown Lufthansa), but it's not that different from etickets after the first step. I don't actually find it any different than etickets in terms of what you do in the airport. The only difference is when you check-in you tell them you have an eticket and show the paper confirmation or whatever instead of giving them your paper tickets. When you check-in, they should give you boarding passes, perhaps for every leg. If so, you don't need to recheck-in. Some airports do not allow people to go to the gate any more, even if they have a ticket and only carryons, for example.

I didn't think you could ever checkin at the curb for international flights, anyway.

Have you flown anywhere from DC lately? I don't think any DC airport allows you to go to the gate without a boarding pass (that's where I live so that's my memory). You get them eithe rfrom the checkin counter or a machine. I don't remember if you can use the machine for international or all airlines.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Robdaddy,

Lufthansa has automated check in kiosks for travelers with hand luggage only at almost all airports they serve. Just put your flight coupon (which must have a magnetic strip on the back of it)in the slot and follow the instructions - easy.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Intrepid

CAUTION: Since you are going on an international flight be prepared to not be able to use either curbside or automated check-ins...I say be prepared rather than "you absolutely can't" because the "issue" is the airline has to confirm that your travel documents, i.e, your passport(s) is/are in order BEFORE they will issue you a boarding pass or check in any luggage.
I suspect you'll have to go to the ticket counter at the first check in to have this taken care of (since you probably cannot get through Security without a boading pass) and you may be able to get all your boadring passes at once for the outbound segments.

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

This is all very helpful; my thanks to each of you.