Had a little fun on the bus yesterday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an American living in Edinburgh at the moment. Yesterday afternoon, while taking the bus home from work, three Scottish guys (mid 20s?) got on and walked to the back of the bus, sitting about 4 or 5 rows behind me. They didn't know I was American, and for the next 10 or 15 minutes they -very loudly- spoke in this John-Wayne-meets-JFK accent, repeating, "Ya stupid bastid" and generally making fun of Americans, pointing to one man on the street in a Hawaiian shirt. I was trying very, very hard not to laugh during all of this. Especially since I am from Boston. As it happened, they got off at my stop, so I 'accidentally' stepped into the aisle in between them, and asked, "Can you say anything else in that accent?" They burst out laughing, turned red, and told me to "Get down the stairs Yank!" Later they all appologized, but I wasn't offended, just highly amused.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:51 AM

So they don't like Hawaiian culture either? What a bunch of ignorant bigots.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Zika, thanks for the amusing story.<BR><BR>Rufus - lighten up! It's Friday and almost the weekend. There is a big difference between making fun of a (probably) Caucasian man in a Hawaiian shirt and insulting Hawaiian culture. I'd bet money that man knows nothing about Hawaiian culture.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Good story Zika.<BR><BR>Rufus - anyone wearing an 'Hawaiian' shirt deserves to be laughed at, especially in Scotland and even more so in Winter.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:51 AM

ZIKA.. Im from hartford.. and we always make fun of Bostonian accents so listening too those guys must of been funny as hell.. <BR>good stuff..
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Good story!<BR><BR>Very funny, and appreciated.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM

You take public transportation and you admit to it??? Now, that is funny.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:25 AM
uuhhhh

it is contradictory that we americans often don't defend our own &quot;culture&quot; (and in fact of join in) when it's criticized by someone of another culture. but, like mm, we're oh so quick to point out the impropriety of one of us criticizing another culture.<BR><BR>would seem to indicate that our culture is something of which to be ashamed.

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:48 AM

zika45, glad you don't take yourself as seriously as &quot;uuhhhh&quot; (thank heavens for registration putting an end to all those kinds of names)<BR><BR>John, if it's really you, glad to see you back!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:44 PM

zika, thanks for not being an ugly American. It's a great story!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Thanks zika for the very nice story. The wonderful thing about men of &quot;a certain age&quot; wearing Hawaiian shirts is that it's clearly silly. These men have the *&amp;&amp;^%%$ to wear totally silly clothes with abandon, chutzpah, or whatchamacallit!... This is why I buy husband hawaiian shirts at every reasonable opportunity! Thanks again for the story.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:16 PM

Good luck shopping this spring season guys, I saw some really ghastly floral print shirts for men in the stores, we may be seeing LOTS of men in Hawaiian prints if they follow fashion trends!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:59 PM

<BR>ZIKA<BR>Will be visiting Edinburgh this fall. Do you know anything about the Dunstane house hotel??<BR>I am also from Mass.but now living in the Great Northwest.<BR>