Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha anyone read this new book: Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk

Here's a review: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9639C8B63
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:13 AM

Not yet. It got good reviews in The Guardian and The Observer. It's on my list.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:32 AM

What's special about it? What doesn't it say that hasn't been said most wonderfully by John Norwich's "Byzantium"?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM

It was a finalist in the Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction: the point being that it's not a guide-book or a history book (and if it were it would hardly be about pre-Ottoman Byzantium).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/books/f...istanbul.shtml
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:45 AM

Fuzzy Logic@

That comes across as a pretty ignorant comment. Orhan Pamuk is Turkey's most acclaimed author - certainly what he has to say is worth consideration!

Just because you once read a good book doesn't mean you stop reading anything about Istanbul altogether.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:08 AM
cmt
Original Poster

Woyseck: About that comment made above--maybe he's just trying hard to earn his screen name.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM

Woyzeck - yes, agree. But I thought maybe one of you who had read it would tell me WHY it is special before I go out and buy it (or ask the library to buy it for me).

I assume you have read JJ Norwich? And you have been to Istanbul?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:14 AM
Pausanias

Norwich's book is a history of Byzantium. Pamuk's book is a memoir of his early life in modern Istanbul.

To ignore one because of the other would be like declining to read a memoir by Fellini because Gibbon had covered Rome so well . . .

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM

I bought the book but will not read next ten years. I protest this guy becouse of his attitude on some political issues. I am sorry he did some money on my purchase but.....

Some says good some doesnt. I will be able to comment ten years later ;-))
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:30 AM

Hello, propertravel. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you seem to be Turkish. Do you live in Istanbul? Maybe you could help me as I am leaving for Istanbul in 3 weeks?????
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:20 PM

Propertravel I am confused. Why buy the book but then say you will not read it in protest?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:37 PM
cmt
Original Poster

<<Propertravel I am confused. Why buy the book but then say you will not read it in protest?>>

I think it's becaue he really wanted the name "Fuzzylogic," too, but it was already taken.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:10 AM

You correctly assume that I have been to Istanbul. I haven't read JJ Norwich, but I will have to put it on my list - along with Pamuk's "Istanbul." Thank you for the recommendation.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:06 AM

Hi ThinGorjus :I do not live in istanbul but as its my profession I can help with your possible questions on Travelling in Turkey....

Hahaha CMT; no intension of being a fuzzylogic, ( I kinda liked that nick too but ))I am happy with mine.

Femi : I bought it becouse it was very recent and I wanted to see what this guy writes really about. Than he has been invited to a conferance in the States and he made some really ugly comments about his own country with no reason and made people who invited them ashamed. People can talk negative things about their country I am Ok with but how and why part is I am considered. Probably I will read his book after my anger is passed which will not be within next 15 years.....
Thats a personal preferance ofcourse.

Happy reading happy travelling

Murat
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 03:37 AM
cmt
Original Poster

When you refer to "ugly comments about his country," I assume you are speaking about his statements that huge numbers of Armenians were in fact killed through actions of the Ottoman government. I read that there was a big uproar in Turkey about his comments. There is no need for us to discuss the history and the controversy here, and if you do, it will only get this thread closed. However, I'm briefly identifying the nature of the comments you found so objectionable, because people may be curious.

P.S. I just got the book from Amazon a few days ago, but haven't done more than glance at it yet.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:05 AM

," I assume you are speaking about his statements that huge numbers of Armenians were in fact killed through actions of the Ottoman government."

No I am referring some other comments which no need to discuss about, as I see this makes this guy more popular.

But about Armenians Killed.....part I am not aggreing with and lets leave this to historians who are working also on mass graves of Turks killed by Armenians.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:49 PM

I enjoyed <i>Snow</i>, as well as something by Pamuk that I read in <i>The New Yorker</i> recently. Perhaps it was an excerpt of this new book?