Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Guy Fawkes Nite and Haggis backpack tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:31 AM
alli

Tell me about both if you know anything. <BR>I know Guy Fawkes nite is Nov. 5 and I'll bein London then - are there many fireworks shows in the city? After that we're heading to Edinburgh and Scotland for a few days- thinking of doing a Haggis backpack tour for 3 days "Skye High" tour - highlighands, Skye and Loch Ness- worth it- should we do it on our own? help!!!!! Also, going to see Lion King in London Nov. 2 nite- good idea, right?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:59 AM
ron

When I was there a few years ago, I went to the big bonfire and fireworks in Battersea Park. Earlier that day, I passed through Primrose Hill, where they were piling up the lumber about 30 feet high for the bonfire that night.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:21 AM
kate

There are LOADS of firework displays all over London arund the 5th. As it's a Monday this year, there will be a lot held on the Friday and Saturday nights before, I'd suggest asking at your hotel. <BR> <BR>You'll also see and hear fireworks going off for days before and after the actual date.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:08 AM
Philip

I went to Guy Fawked night one year. It was great. Huge bonfires and they burned an effigy. Also great fireworks. There was an excellent list of events around London in the magazine Time Out. Buy it when you get to London. They listed all the parks that were participating.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Gina

I went on the Haggis Backpackers highlands tour--sounds like a similar one, although mine was only 3 days so we didn't go over to Skye--back in 1996, and had a great time. It was a wonderful introduction to the highlands; the guides are apparently all local and ours, at least, really knew his stuff. I had a blast and would definitely recommend them.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 02:19 PM
angus

Personally I have no direct experience but I recently received the following in an email from an Australian friend (hope you don't mind Alan) <BR> <BR>"5 day tour with Rabbies was not until 9:00am. I was extremely happy with <BR>the tour taking in the isle of mull, isle of iona, staffa island, the north <BR>western highlands and on the last day driving across to loch ness, calling <BR>in at pitlochy and returning to Edinburgh. <BR>We only had one day of rain and that day was mainly spent on the minnie bus. <BR>The western highland scenary was very striking and spectacular.The tour <BR>guide we had was also very friendly, informative and you could see he liked <BR>his job. <BR> <BR> <BR> on the last day i spent a <BR>day tour with haggis tours. <BR>The tour with rabbies was good and the guide was informative. the tour with <BR>haggis was also good and the guide also informative, but did not enjoy this <BR>day tour as much for I felt the guides disposition was more akin to a <BR>younger age group(late teens and early twenties)(I myself am 30)and would <BR>advise the rabbies tours in preference to haggis." <BR> <BR>There are a couple of other similar tours available as well. You might like to have a look at <BR>ww.scotland-info.co.uk

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 05:55 AM
angus

topping for arnie