Guided Tour - SINGLE WOMEN 60's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - I'm 60 years old and I'm (hopefully) making my first trip to Europe this summer/fall.

Because I'm not that outgoing, i don't have any travel experience, and I want to make sure i see everything i've decided to take a guided tour to Italy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies?

I want a small group size (less than 25 people). I'm not that concerned with $$ but I don't want luxury necessarily. I just want that the chance to meet other average people like me.

I would be interested in "women only" trips.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I recommend the Rick Steve's tours. Check out www.ricksteves.com. The tours aren't women only, but meet the rest of your requirements.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
ira

Hi A,

>i don't have any travel experience, and I want to make sure i see everything i've decided to take a guided tour to Italy. <

How long will you be there? It takes months to see all of Italy.

Are you happy with the idea of having your suitcase ready for pickup about 07:00, riding a bus from town to town, not being able to choose your own schedule, hotels and restaurants?

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about Rick Steves, it must be good becaue it is totally booked!

Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM

I found this when I was looking at tours for a friend. The tours look very attractive:

http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/

For tours for women, consider Women's World Travel:

http://www.womansworldtravel.com/

Or here is a list of companies offering all-women tours:

http://tinyurl.com/22ry7t

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM

I have done business w/
www.womenstravelclub.com
Call 800-480-4448 for brochure

Begun in 1992, They are now part of
ABC Tours.
The group is never more than 20 staying in 4-star hotels, & usually the audience is "women of a
certain age."

I think this outfit would be perfect
for your age and sensibilities.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
one word - Elderhostel!

My young retired girlfriend (62) goes all over the world with them. They have smaller groups, a more educational bent, and longer trips than most of the bigger companies.

(Rick Steves is another good choice btw!)
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Although I've never used this company, I've seen it recommended. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.gutsywomentravel.com/
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM

My friend, who is in her early 70's and quite active has taken two trips with this company. I belive that the groups are only about 10 and she has loved both of them, one in Sicily and the other in Tuscany.
Italian Connections

http://www.italian-connection.com/
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Alex,

Some or most of these tours are quite expensive. There is a cruise and tour site online at www vacationstogo dot com that offers cruises and singles tours and I have read that they will match room-mates so one does not have to pay the single supplement.

My other suggestion is - just go. Sign up online for email from Alitalia or Air France, or Virgin Air, or British Airways, or Gate 1 or Sherman's or Travel Zoo offers, they always have specials for 4, 6 8 days including airfare and hotels for $700 or $900 - some have guided tours and some not, but anyway you'll meet other Americans to talk to as you travel along. When you get to Paris or Rome or London you can book guided tours there.
OR

Study the guided tours offerings and what their plans are, and then make your own schedule. I always find it annoying to see that they say things like , "breakfast in the morning at the hotel and the rest of the day is yours" etc. To my mind essentially what they are doing is booking your airflight and hotel for a group of people, busing you around for several thousand dollars and then you're on your own.

Many of the suggested groups above, and all meant well, are run by travel agents garnering business.

Another alternative is to google "women's travel clubs". There are lots of women who are solo travelers, either because they're single or their husbands dont want to travel.And as a friendly group they go together to places, or you post a trip you want to make, and others interested will make contact with you. I belong to a couple of these groups and have met a couple of women who have become good friends and travelmates. So start googling
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<<Many of the suggested groups above, ... are run by travel agents garnering business>>

Mayha~ What do you mean? Do you mean the posters here on Fodor's are really travel agents? Or that the suggested tour groups are profit-making businesses?

I also prefer to travel solo, and am guessing Alex could too if she wanted too. BUT that is not what she asked us. Myself, I try to answer the question the person asks here.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have received lots of sites to research. But there is another option - sort of a happy medium between regimented, up at 0600, luggage in the hall, and being totally on your own.

You can go independently and then sighn up for local day or over night trips through local companies/tourist offices.

For instance you could go to Rome for 4 or 5 days - spend some of them wandering on your own and then taking a couple of organized day trips. Then take a train to Venice for a couple of days - and a local tour. And so on.

That way you can go for as long as you want - where you want - for less money - but still have tours/guides where you want/need them.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Here's a link to a page full of links for women only trips - maybe one of the companies will work for you:
www.wavejourney.com/tourswomen.html
or for coed options:
www.wavejourney.com/tourscoed.html
Hope this gives you some tour company options you haven't come across.
BTW: I am not a tour guide, tour operator, travel agent, nor do I receive a fee from any of the companies listed. Just like to share info with others based on my experiences.
Cheers!
Viv
www.wavejourney.com