Search

Guide Books?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 05:44 PM
Sally

Guide Books?

What guide books would you recommend for Paris?

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 06:04 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Sally. I don't know that I recommend any one book as being THE best. I am not sure that a single book is going to cover the scene totally, and all of the ones I have give a different slant on the city. Let me tell you which ones I have and you can take it from there. Before I launch into my narrative, however, let me suggest that if you can, visit a big book store, like a Borders or Barnes and Nobles, or one at a major university, and browse the shelves before picking one or more Paris guides. Selecting a book is often a very individual decision. <BR> <BR>The Berkeley Guide Series: Paris on the Loose. <BR>Lets Go Paris(St. Martin Press) <BR>Rick Steve's Paris <BR>Fodor's 99 Paris <BR> <BR>Of these, the Berkeley Guide is very good on the museums to see. The lodging is more student oriented as you might expect of a series originated by enterprising, talented U Cal students. <BR>It doesn't pull any punches. If a cafe or crepe stand is bad, it says it is bad. <BR> <BR>The Lets Go Paris book is organized by Arrondisements and describes each quite well. <BR> <BR>Steve's book is his usual opinionated self. If you like his opinions, it is good. Otherwise, it is not. I have yet to test it. I find his book less complete than the others. He tells what he thinks you should see in the Louvre rather quickly. Of course on that subject, perhaps a single book just on the Louvre is the best bet. Probably the same is truee of Musee d'Orsay. <BR> <BR>The Fodors book is oriented toward a more upscale audience than the Let Go Paris book or the Berkeley book. <BR>It has much good information in it. <BR> <BR>If I had to pick just one, I would take the Lets Go Paris book. Fodors is ok, but I like the descriptions of the Lets Go book because they are a little more to my taste. But that my perception; yours may be 180 degrees the other way. <BR> <BR>Other than that, I think you can get a wealth of info off of this forum. <BR>Some of the wisest of the contributors seem to like Paris and are most generous in sharing their wealth of knowledge. <BR>See in particular the top 10 list if the search part of the forum can dredge it up. <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 09:18 PM
tina

I love books and have had a habit of almost collecting them so I have a lot of guides for Paris. I am assuming that you already have accomodations and are looking for a book to have in Paris, correct? Paris Step by Step is a series of guided walks which take you past the major sites and discusses history along the way. Eyewitness and Knopf are gorgeously illustrated with lots of pictures and much anedoctal info but not less practical info. The Fodor's guide to Paris 99 that just came out seems to be a good blend of illustrations and practical info. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 04:25 AM
Donna

I think I have every guide book ever published about Paris and there are new ones coming out every day. At the top of my list of favorites would be Eyewitness (for the photos, maps and walking tours) and Access (for restaurants and shopping). If you live near a Barnes & Noble or Borders, do take every one that looks appealing to the cafe and peruse them at your leisure.

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 09:25 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I agree with Donna's choices, though I prefer the Access guide to the Eyewitness. While the Eyewitness does have great pictures, it isn't as practical to actually use than Access. Access has wonderful maps and makes locating a specific site or restaurant very easy. Eyewitness is good to read before you go, but Access will prove more valuable while you're there. (Plus the Eyewitness guide weighs a ton!) <BR>Bob also make a good suggestion to visit a bookstore and check them all out.

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 11:43 AM
Richard

Sally, Our favorite is the Paris edition of "Cadogan City Guides". It includes some history, great walking tours and is written with a British sense of humor. ISBN 1-56440-072-7. We've found no one book is going to be 'the' guide. We used this guide in January of '98 on our 8th trip to Paris and discovered places not mentioned in other books, including Rick Steves' and Let's Go.

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 01:03 PM
s.fowler

I always consult more than one guidebook so I can compare when they recommend the same places. Our last trip to Paris I used Frommer's and found it very helpful. They recommended the restaurant Les Olivades in the 7eme and it ws *wonderful* [chic, but authentic provencal food] <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 02:59 PM
Walter

<BR>IMO the best guidebook for museums and historical sites *only* is the "Blue Guide" series (Blue Guide Paris). Very informative and detailed. The best street/site map is the "Streetwise" or "Artwise" (Paris) series, small, compact, plastic coated, and detailed. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 06:12 AM
wes fowleer

Sally, <BR>The type of guide you choose will depend entirely upon how deeply you want to immerse yourself into the history, art, architecture, customs and citizenry of Paris. If you are interested simply in getting "from here to there", a Metro map will suffice since most of the names of major attractions correspond to Metro station names, Louvre, Tuileries, Concorde, Champs Elysees, Ecole Militaire, Palais Royale,etc are all Metro stations. (The nearest station to Notre Dame is Cite.) If you're predominantly interested in accommodations and restaurants and a brief overview of major attractions, the Fodor, Frommer and Birnbaum guides would suffice augmented by websites such as www.paris.org and www.paris-hotels If you're budget minded, Gustafson's "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" and "Cheap Eats in Paris", "Lonely Planet", "Let's Go" and Rick Steves guides are valuable resources. For insights into the city and its people the "Insight Guide to Paris" gives just that in an informal but authoritative style written by long term residents and frequent visitors augmented with superb photography. The "Eyewitness Guide to Paris" is a particularly fine guide since it deals not only with the major tourist attractions but offers color photographs of currency and coinage, public telephones, bus and Metro signage, museum and Metro tickets and passes and similar commonplace items so the traveler can familiarize himself with common necessities prior to putting them to use. The Knopf guide to Paris is similar in content and photography but lacks useful information about the commonplace things. For in depth guidance, encompassing the history of buildings and tourist sites, their purpose, their sponsors and their contents the essential guide is "Les Guides Bleu, Paris" published in English by Prentiss Hall. This is not a guide to take with you but one to browse through from your bedside night table while planning your trip. It's over 1,600 pages in length and devotes over 125 pages to the Louvre alone, for example!

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 04:47 PM
Al

I've seen 'em all and still believe that for useful information, portability, concise descriptions, illustrations, and good organization, the Michelin Green Guide to Paris (and to many, many other places) ranks at or near the top for sightseeing. They do not contain info on where to eat or stay, but all the other guides do that. My well-thumbed Green Guides line my bookshelf, and I turn there first for facts.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 04:59 PM
lynn

Hi Sally - <BR> <BR>Like many issues, this is definitely one of personal taste. Myself, I always look through many guides before a trip, often spending countless hours at Barnes & Noble with a baguette and a cup of coffee. When I buy one, I usually get the Eyewitness Guide. <BR> <BR>The maps with little drawings of how the buildings look, the cutaways of major sites, color photos, etc., are extremely useful. <BR> <BR>I agree with above that this book is heavy but, I figure if I don't want to, I just won't carry. I can always leave it in the room. I usually have a typed list with necessary details of all the places we want to see so I don't really have to carry a book. Sometimes I just like having the extra information handy. <BR> <BR>One thing is for sure, all you REALLY NEED is a map, a good sense of humor, and a strong sense of adventure...then, everything else just falls into place. <BR> <BR>Happy Traveling!

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 05:20 PM
paciano diaz

Eyewitness! For the Maps, walking tour suggestions, detailed and color photos among other things!!

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 06:08 PM
joel

For absolute accuracy I have used the Michelin Green Guides since 1988. The Green Guide covers sight seeing and the Red Guide covers restaurants and hotels. Now talk about accuracy... the Red Guide not only tells you where the good restaurants are, it is the foremost rater of restaurants in the world. Chefs have killed themselves over losing a Michelin star. Also, if you have the current Red Guide in your hand when you arrive at any hotel listed therein, that hotel is obliged to accord you the rate published in the book... or else. The Red Guide packs a lot of punch in France! <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 07:59 AM
jeanne

Sally: <BR> <BR>I have to agree with the Eyewitness fans here-it has practically all my little "secret places" in Paris where I shop, eat, etc. Be aware, however, that it tends to the upper middle class in terms of suggestions and prices. <BR> <BR>I also agree with the Michelin lovers, both green and red. <BR> <BR>Also, some special guides I love: <BR> <BR>Food: <BR> <BR>Patricia Well's, Food Lover's Guide to Paris-it is a must have for foodies in Paris (and who isn't one there?) <BR> <BR>Gault Millau guide to Paris or France <BR> <BR>For the Louvre: <BR> <BR>In the bookstore of the Louvre, they have a little guide (published in multiple languages)called Guide for the visitor in a hurry. Even if you aren't in a hurry, buy this guide. It is hardly more than a brochure-light it carry, etc (ISBN: 2 7118-3019-5, but I find it invaluable. Since they have completed the major reconstuction in the louvre-they moved everything-so an of us "old-timers" were lost. Not any more! And for the first time visitors, it is a helpful way to know where the "biggies" in the Louvre are. Then you can always really dig deeper from there. What is is nice, is to take that guide and go have a cafe near the ramparts in the shopping center under the Louvre or up in the cafe by the Horse of Marly in the museum itself, and plan your attack on the museum! It is the most asked for guide by my friends when they visit Paris. <BR> <BR>Maps: <BR> <BR>Also, in terms of maps ("plans"), I would suggest that you invest in one of the little "pocket plans" that the Parisians carry. There are a bunch of them sold at any magazine stand in the airport train stations, tourist areas, ect. They are sold under different brands. I like the small color ones. They should all have metro, RER and bus maps and they describe where to pick up the bateaux mouches, the big turist spots, etc complete with metro stops for everything. <BR> <BR>Also, if you can read some French, pick up the Gault Millau magazine and some of the speacialized food and "nightlife" magezines or even Elle or Nouvelle Observeteur to find out about new restaurants, music going on, etc. I like magzines like that when I arrive since they are always a bit more current