Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gruyeres and Chateau de Chillon on a Saturday?

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are currently based in Zurich, and want to take a day trip to the Montreaux region this weekend. We have an auto. We were considering a scenic train from Interlaken to Montreaux, but don't want to take too much time on the train, and minimize other options...

Is it possible to see both Gruyeres and the Chateau in one day? Should we plan on the train one day, and the site seeing the next? We have to return to Zurich in the evening, so would be making two day trips.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Hi beachtee,

It's a long train ride from Zurich to Montreux; I did it this summer from Montreux to visit a friend in Zurich. I went the fast way (via Lausanne), but it's slower on the route you're talking about. I wouldn't recommend it as a day-trip.

Gruyeres is about two hours from Montreux by train, and it's not far out of the way. There's not a whole lot to see in Gruyeres -- just one main street, some shops, and the castle. Oh, if you are interested in cheese-making, you can visit the dairy. But you simply MUST stop for something to eat in the restaurants -- their Raclette and Creme de Gruyeres is simply worth dying for!

Chillon is a little outside of Montreux. From the train station, you can take the city bus to the castle (go downstairs to the lake to catch it), or you can walk along the lake for about 45 minutes to get there. It's a delightful walk!

Is it at all possible to stay overnight somewhere? A place like Gstaad would be handy for both Montreux and Gruyeres, or you could even stay at either Montreux or at Gruyeres, then return home at the end of the second day.

Good luck!

s
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:44 AM

You will be much faster when you take the auto. If you take the fastest route driving time from Zürich to Gruyeres will be two hours. From Gruyeres to Montreux it takes 40min. From Montreux back to Zürich another be two hours.

If you prefer a scenic drive you may take the route via Thun, Gstaad, Zweisimmen, Aigle to Chillon. Count one hour more driving time.

As ever:

www.viamichelin.ch
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Would the scenic drive be the equivalent of the scenic train? Since we have an auto, it seems redundant to take the train, unless the views are more spectacular that way.

We don't mind long day trips, so the second driving itinerary may work for us, with sight seeing factored in.

We hope to eat in Gruyeres and sample some wines as well. Any particular restaurant recommendations?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Would the scenic drive be the equivalent of the scenic train?

only if you took the longer road route paralleling the train line

otherwise on the main autoroute way it's hardly the dramatic scenery you have on the train such as the steep descent thru vineyards down to Lake LeMan at Montreux.

Gruyeres also has a cheese plant you can tour.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM

The fastest route (as proposed by routeplanners) is the autobahn and this in not scenic. The scenic route is via Gstaad. I have driven it recently, and it is really nice. You will have better views than from the train.

viamichelin displays maps where scenic routes are marked with green lines.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Gruyeres is not all that large. Don't miss visiting the castle there. Well worth the stop (it's old but more modern than Chillon). We ate at a charming spot, just along side the main road. Had wine and a good meat & cheese board.

We did it as a 1/2 day trip from Montreux.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

In Gruyeres, the Auberge de la Halle (on the right side of the street when looking toward the castle) has the most amazing double cream and berries you will ever taste. I would go back there in a second. Mmmmm!!!! I am sure they had other food, but all I needed was this bit of heaven.