Growing Threat of London Rail Strike

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there could be some lengthy rail strikes in the UK according to this article on This is London:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/traffi...ing%20Standard

"Strikes could halt train services across the UK network - including London commuter routes - from the end of next month."
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:06 AM

I will be in the UK at the end of next month through early June and was planning on using the train to get from Edinburgh to London. Should I be concerned? I was hoping to see the countryside and stop off in York for the day but can get a very inexpensive airline ticket if necessary (I haven't bought the train ticket yet either.) Any advice anyone? Should I wait it out a little longer and see what happens?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:00 AM

Oh Boy! Something else to worry about.
We will be traveling by train(we hope)
between 5/23-6/5. I guess we will figure something out if the need arises.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:13 AM

UMJulie,
Your travel plan of to take the train to Edinburgh with a stop in York is exactly what my husband and I were thinking of - including the possibility of a flight instead!
Can I ask where your sourced your cheap flight and train tickets from and for how much?
Thanks in advance.
Lilly
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:58 AM

Hi lilly,

I found a webfare on BMI for a flight from Edinburgh to London Heathrow on June 2 (the day I need to be in London) for 11 GBP (it actually comes to about 30 GBP after all taxes and fees.) The website is www.flybmi.com.

I also checked Easyjet (www.easyjet.com) and there are flights to Gatwick, Stansted and Luton for 11.49 GBP (before taxes) on up. The total for the 11.49 Easy Jet fare looks to be almost 23 GBP.

We were originally planning on a 4 day Britrail pass to get us from Edinburgh to London via York then use it for another couple of days worth of day trips including Bath. I still don't know what we're going to do but I'm leaning toward flying. Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM

Keep in mind that you still need to get to Luton, Stansted or Gatwick. WIth rail, it'd be hard and expensive just to get to those airports.