Search

Grouse, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:57 AM
Stan

Grouse, anyone?

Would like to eat grouse while in London in mid-October, but have never done so before. What does it taste like? Is it somewhat comparable to wild duck (dark meat, slightly gamey)?

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 07:00 AM
frank

Dark, gamey, lotsa bones, no layer of fat as in waterfowl, very tasty, you'll know this is a real non-farmed animal.It has a flavour all of its own, quite strong.Delicious - but watch out for lead pellets. <BR>The grouse is native to the UK, not introduced as the pheasant was.It is semi-wild - the young chicks are reared indoors & food is left out on the moor to supplement the adult's natural fare (eg heather shoots). <BR>Your grouse will probably have been shot on the moor.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Stan

Frank: How should grouse be ordered? I think I will ask for "medium", but imagine "regulars" would request "rare". If it is VERY gamey, I would just as soon pass up the opportunity to try it, but I am an adventurous eater and, although you did advise that grouse is gamey and quite strong you also commented that it is very tasty and delicious. So, is grouse an acquired taste or is it generally well-received?

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:07 AM
John

Stan (& Frank), the grouse is a common Northern Hemisphere bird, although I think the Red Grouse is the one normally found in Britain. (In Alaska the Snow Grouse, or Ptarmigan, turns white in winter - hard to spot; the Sage Hen and Prairie Chicken are also types of grouse; there are others.) <BR> <BR>So you might be able to sample the critter in other parts of the world. Millions of coyotes can't be wrong. However, the thought of chaps wearing funny hats shooting at birds flushed by beaters, so that a London restaurant can serve the first brice of grice, well, it still makes me smile. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Kavey

Hi Stan <BR> <BR>If you want to sample other game, rabbit is also very nice, but I have no diea what time of year is best. I never notice , or if I do, my brain falils to index it properly... <BR> <BR>All sorts of other game is available. <BR> <BR>If you arent into gamey taste how about wild boar? Instead of regular farmed pork? This is becoming more popular again... And venison also. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 01:54 PM
frank

Usually it's roasted in an oven, the juices combined with wine to make a sauce, so I don't think you'd be asked how you'd like it done. <BR> I liked it very much the first time I had it, though I thought it a bit individual, and I've come to like it a lot more since.Its not too gamey, I believe it depends on how long its hung.You should certainly try it!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 01:58 PM
Sheila

Frank, my little chickadee, grouse are wholly wild. I think you must be mixing them up with pheasants. No indoor rearing for these birds!! <BR> <BR>And we have Ptarmigan too. But we don't eat them

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 02:57 PM
frank

OK you're right Sheila, they don't feed grouse chicks just silly pheasants, but they're not truly wild - they have keepers who burn back the heather & exact depradations on any natural hunters in the area! <BR>The grouse is a respectable bird, it looks well, I always think of pheasants as very stupid & only fit for running over.