Greenland

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenland

Air Greenland will start flights between Baltimore and Greenland in May 2007, and I am considering a visit (definitely want to see Disko Bay and the icebergs). Has anyone been and have any recommendations? I'll buy the Lonely Planet when I book my air tickets. Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM

It is a bleak and desolate place. Read the Lonely Planet guide first before you book your flight.

http://www.greenland-guide.gl/
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I am impressed by your adventuring spirit! Do you know why they are flying to Baltimore and not another east coast US city? Just wondering if there is some interesting connection here? Other than that, I have no info for you..sorry. But I will be eagerly awaiting a trip report when you come home!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM

No problem posting here your topic but just curious is Greenland in North America or europe - i know it's run by Denmark but geographically it seems North American??
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Greenland is in North America, although its frequently associated with Europe. However, there is no North America forum (only forums for the US and Canada, and Greenland is neither in the US nor Canada).
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Have you tried the Scandinavian Tourist Board (www.goscandinavia.com; 212-885-9700) - since Greenland, a misnomer of huge dimensions it seems belongs to Denmark they may have info.

I eagerly await your report on this forum! Bon travels.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Pausanias

This is great news as it simplifies and presumably lessens the expense of visiting.

I've done a little research. In the southwest you can visit the last Viking setlement. Ruins of a cathedral, I believe. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Greenland's a wonderful place to visit. I loved every minute there, even though I had never been so cold. We went there in January -- to experience the dark and cold.

Well, it wasn't dark all the time and there was more snow back at our home in New England.

It's such a unique, beautiful, friendly place. I recommend it, and if you can fly there from Baltimore it would save some of the flying and time zone shifting we had for our trip. We flew from Newark to Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq (and then to Ilullisat) and back.

I recommend the book "An African in Greenland" It's a beautiful true story of patience and travel dreams.

If you have any questions about Ilullisat or Kangerlussuaq, I'd be happy to try to help.

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Hi Michael,
I spent some time in Eastern Greenland in August.

My main memory was how freezing cold it was, and how barren and desolate.

It was also depressing for me as the local community could not support themselves and depend on monetary infusions from Denmark to survive. Each individual in Greenland gets an annual payment from the government. Too much free time and alcohol for the population. It reminded me of the native American reservations in the US. Sad.

Apparently there is plenty of bird life to be seen, however I was discouraged by the continual sleet and rain and spent my time trying to stay warm.

We did see lots of icebergs, however.
BTW, glad you made it to the fish market in Muscat. I simply loved your photos!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Part of my time in the military was spent on Greenland, north of Narsarssuak and south of Gothaab (Nuuk) near a mine at Ivigtut. The scenery reminds one of Switzerland submerged -- mountains rising directly from the sea, no trees, just knee-high shrubs, with clouds of mosquitoes and black flies in summer. The ice cap covers the center of the island, in places miles deep, like a great flat glacier. We, being Americans, were forbidden any contact with the native Inuit people lest we transmit diseases to which they had no immunity. No roads whatever, only many miles of rocks and ice. Why anyone would want to go there baffles me.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Bring lots of insect repellant if you are going in the spring, summer or fall. You will need it. Outer clothing with Gore-tex will also be very useful. If you bring an umbrella, it should be the wind-proof kind. There are some spectacular sights, but it is not easy to get around.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good information. I have long wanted to visit Greenland but the prospect of flying via Copenhagen was unappealing -- the direct flight will make this trip much more likely.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Jed

You can also get to Greenland via Iceland.
http://greenland.com/Travel_Info/Getting_to_Greenland/
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM

<It was also depressing for me as the local community could not support themselves and depend on monetary infusions from Denmark to survive. Each individual in Greenland gets an annual payment from the government. Too much free time and alcohol for the population. It reminded me of the native American reservations in the US. Sad.>

Sad too in Copenhagen when in the Free City of Christiana i saw way too many indigenous Greenlanders getting completely wasted - on the dole no doubt but not too happy it seemed.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

http://www.airgreenland.gl/index.php...new_language=1

Information on the US-Greenland flight is now available, and I just spoke with Air Greenland. In the Summer, flights will leave to and from Greenland on Fridays and Mondays ($1,100 round trip), so it would be possible to visit for a long weekend.