Greek strikes??

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 01:26 AM
Paige

Greek strikes??

Oh geez! I just read that Greek truckers and 3 labor unions are planning an indefinite strike on September 25 to protest fuel charges. We're leaving a few days later for Athens, then Amorgos, where we're getting married! Has anyone else heard about the possible strike? Does anyone have any insight into Greek strikes and what will happen? Will the ferries run? Oh man! I hope this doesn't screw up our wedding!!

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Thyra

Paige, I just checked BBC Europe and there was not mention of strikes in Greece, Barcelona seems to be the worst hit city right now, at least according to them. I also checked the news through links at Go Greece and the Athens news agency and also nothing was mentioned.Which leads me to believe that it's not at crisis level yet. If you have contacts IN Greece you should see what they have to say. The possibility exists that there could be disruption as seen in the UK and now in Spain. We are leaving in October, as well. I would advise you to keep up on the local news, contact your associates in Greece if you have any, (I am going to email mine as soon as I get done with this post) and I know this sounds impossible, this being your wedding and all, but try to have a plan B. Maybe check out alternate venues in Athens... don't go overboard, but be prepared, chances are, knock on wood, you won't need to have an alternate plan, but it never hurts. My wedding was in a dry Southern California canyon out in the middle of no where during the peak of fire season during a very dry year. There were fires burning the entire week before the wedding, so we made alternate plans, just in case. Luckily we didn't have to use our Plan B. But it might make you feel better. If it looks like its getting bad it helps mentally (at least it did for me) to say, well we have this other thing we can do... in otherwords be prepared, and proactive... God willing you won't need to be either, these crazy situations really test your mettle. When you have planned your perfect wedding for a year or more, as I did, the possiblity that it won't be perfect is really horrible. Take a deep breath, step back from it for a moment, get a workable plan B, (if strikes seem likely to happen) and if all else fails whatever happens will make for some really unique stories years from now. Good luck,I am sending you best wishes we will wait and see.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Martina

Hi,

there are a few strikes going on at the moment, but they are not causing too much chaos. The post office and a few others were striking last week, the airport employees were striking Friday and Saturday and some ferries are striking at the moment, but that is supposed to end tonight.

I haven't heard of any other strikes for the future yet. Let's hope not!

Best regards,

Martina www.paros-online.com

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:19 AM
Paige

Thanks for your encouraging words! The lady in Amorgos that's helping with the wedding said not to worry about it, so I'll go with that. I've worried so much lately that I'm worried out and finally feel relaxed about it. What will be will be!

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Thyra

Good for you Paige. I just got an email from my contact in Greece, the header was.."Crisis, what crisis?" So there it is. Have a lovely wedding!!! I wish you all the best.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 12:48 AM
Paige

I just read this on Lonely Planet's website. Has anyone heard any first hand accounts of what's really going on?

Greece
22 September '00
Travel Warning in Greece
Travellers planning ferry excursions from either Pireus or Rafina, two of Greece's major tourist ports, should take heed of recent strikes which have brought travel to and from a number of surrounding islands to a virtual standstill. Hundreds of tourists on the islands Ios, Paros, Naxos and Santorini have already been left stranded due to the work stoppage. Loads of outgoing holiday-makers have likewise been left wondering when and if they'll make it to that hot sunny paradise on the other side. Negotiations between dock workers and the Greek ministry of commercial shipping have ended in gridlock for the last several days. When work will resume is as yet uncertain. If plan A included taking a ferry to any of the
above-mentioned destinations, you may want to consider plan B. You can phone the ports of Pireus and Rafina for updates.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 05:38 AM
Gina

I got an e-mail a few days ago from a friend with whom I recently traveled on a Contiki Greek island-hopping trip (fabulous, by the way). She'd heard from our tour manager, who was leading the same two-week trip again with a new group, that they were stuck for at least an extra day or two on Santorini. (Of course, I can think of worse things...) As of day before yesterday, though, he called and told her that they had made it on to the next island in the journey, Paros, so at least some ferries were still running at that point. That's the closest thing to "word from the field" that I have.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 04:34 PM
Thyra

Earlier in the week I checked in the the Athens News Agency and there was a mention that two of the Ferry lines were striking, (I am pretty sure one was Hellas) that a fair amount of traveler's had been unable to get from point a to point b
I just checked back again and there was no mention.
the addr is
www.ana.gr/
Just note that air fare is very inexpensive between islands. If you need to plan for an alternate method of transport.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:54 PM
Susan

We just got back from Greece. One of the ferry companies had been striking, but apparently it's over. It didn't really affect us, but other people were rather upset.