Greek life vs. American life

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from lovely Greece and now I find America too fast-paced. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to have dinner in an hour anymore. I don't want to blaze through my day going 100 miles an hour. I miss the pace of Greek life! Americans need to slow down and take a lesson from our European neighbors. They really know how to live life to the fullest.

I'm having culture shock and am just wondering if others experienced this, too.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:41 AM

ooh dodgy post!!! wait for the jingoistic replies....
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:43 AM

DenverDice, I don't know if you live in Denver -- but I do, and when I got back from Greece and Turkey, I felt the same way. I'd recommend staying off of I-25 or I-70 for a while.

I'm not sure where you went -- but we were in Athens and Samos Island on the way to Turkey...I found the "island time" mentality refreshing and wonderful to experience, not all that different from other islands I've visited, including Hawaii's outer islands. It really recharges the batteries, that's for sure.

I'd love to hear your trip report!

Jules
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Dice,

If <i>you </i> want to slow down the pace of your life, why don't you? No one is stopping you. But why tell everyone else how to live?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Yawn-boring, why are you being rude? I'm not telling anyone else how to live. I'm just trying to open up an intelligent conversation with an honest reaction to my trip.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I always thought Denver would be extremely slow-paced compared to anywhere else. But if this is still too fast for you, why don't you stay a few days somwhere in Kansas. Nothing has changed there since 1935.
&quot;There is no place like home.......&quot;
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Another Denver resident weighing in...

Do remember that you were on vacation, and the pace of almost any vacation is going to be slower than the routine of your normal life.

I also suggest you avoid I-25, I-70, 225 and 36 The construction around here these days is enough to raise anyone's stress level!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM

TexasAggie -- LOL I was just thinking that as I typed out the freeways...there are so many others to avoid around here these days.

I think DenverDice is just lamenting that life in Greece seems idyllic when compared to the typical fast-paced American lifestyle...I don't think anyone has to personalize what he's saying that it's a commandment for you to feel/be like him. Lighten up!

Dice -- the one thing that cracked me up about our Greek phrasebook was that it had a whole &quot;party&quot; section with phrases on how to pick up on dates...then you look at a Turkish phrasebook and there is NOTHING like that anywhere. I thought it was interesting to see such a big cultural difference between two countries, and I enjoyed both of them tremendously. I'm glad you had a good time there. Now get busy with that trip report!

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I know, I need to do a trip report. I went to 12 places in 18 days. It was a whirlwind that included Athens, Thessoloniki, Halkidiki, Tolo, Napflion, Turkey, Santorini, Mykonos, Patmos, Hydra and more.

But, first I need to upload, label and sort through the 500 digital photos I took! It was such an amazing vacation, I am having a hard time acclimating back to regular life. My first to Europe. And I'm female, by the way.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:27 AM

'Americans need to take a lesson...'

Anti-Americanism by any other name. I hate it.

Would you still be pushing this pablum if your phone/ plumbing/ electricity wasn't working?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Sorry about the gender confusion, Dice.

I am also female, if it matters.

Jules
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM
ira

Hi DD,

&gt;I went to 12 places in 18 days....

And you considered that to be slowing down?!

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM

It all depends on the individual, DenverD. To say &quot;Americans need to&quot; or &quot;Greeks need to&quot; or &quot;Ugandans need to&quot; is simply stereotyping and bigotry.

I don't need anyone telling me how I &quot;should&quot; live my life. It's mine, and I'll go as fast or slow as I please. Should is such a fascist word.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Goodness, Stellarossa,
&quot;Anti-Americanism by any other name. I hate it.&quot;?

Hate is anti-American in my view, including hating someone for simply expressing their opinion. It's called The First Amendment of the Constitution, the first in the Bill of Rights.

Geez, people. Lighten up already.

Jules
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Whatever - you people are too sensitive.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Jules, I don't believe I said I hated anyone. Re-read my post (or read my post, whatever applies) then you can apologize to me.

As an aside, I was expressing my opinion - and you jumped on me for that.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:55 AM

There will be no apology from me. You claiming her saying that American life should somehow be different was un-American, and that you hate that. No, perhaps you don't hate the person who said that, but it sure rings that way.

Yes, you're entitled to say what you want, but so am I. It's sad to see a post that was intended to spark a nice debate over life here vs. overseas turn into a debate over the words &quot;Americans need to slow down&quot;.

Americans could learn a lot from our European counterparts, and it's a fact of life that we have more drive-thru's, more freeways, and other ways to rush around just to &quot;do more.&quot;

I think traveling to see how others live and comparing it to our own values is in itself valuable. We don't have to change our ways, but making life less of a ratrace and instead make it purposeful isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Hate is a strong word. Best to use it sparingly.

Jules

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:56 AM

On the &quot;far shoulder&quot; of a great trip some wistful longing is expectable, so you get a pass for a little while.
If you want a considered reply to your question - yes, I have experienced this. Still experience it, mostly because when I am traveling I don't have to deal with the realities of everyday living and can just blow off things that at home might annoy. I file it under &quot;the grass is always greener...&quot; and just enjoy the memories.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM

...um I did use it sparingly. Once I believe. I quote from your latest posting: '..it sure rings that way'. That's your opinion, remember. We don't all have to go along with what you want just because you think it's the correct way.

However, at least you were big enough to apologize.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:17 AM

To reply to your orginal question - Yup, you bet we felt the same way when we returned from France and Italy.

We realized that it was a vacation (good point Texas Aggie), so there wasn't that &quot;goal setting&quot; that everyday life might require. That said, when we returned to LA we sat around (during long, leisurely brunches on the patio eating Caprese salads) and tried to figure out how we could adapt our lives to get rid of some of the craziness. What we came up with was two things: Enjoy daily/weekly life a little more than we were doing, and cut back on some of our material wants.

I'm sure that enjoying life, entertaining, isn't purely a European thing - I see articles about Southern entertaining and Manhattan dinner parties all the time in magazines - it was just that it seemed MORE like a cultural thing there. (Actually, I know it is from my work - if a design client wants a French or Italian fabric and they order it too late in July, they have to wait til September because all the mills close for vacation!) So we've tried not to let the weeks just go by without some markers - even a quiet dinner with one of our adult children. We take walks every night in the neighborhood and talk. It really isn't anything big, it's an attitude adjustment - just being together and relaxing and reconnecting.

The other thing we did notice in Europe is that new, bigger, more doesn't seem to be as important as time. There were lovely bed and breakfasts we stayed in with items that were old, which clients here would have replaced long ago but which the Italians or English saw as telling a story of life - the patina on limestone floors and counters, a little fraying on the sofa pillows. No big deal. IMHO, we get sucked in here with advertising: bigger house, more upscale car, status clothes. That's what all the magazines and TV shows are fixated on.

Who cares? I'd rather have a little less and enjoy my family and friends more.

OK, so now let 'em rip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -