Search

Greek Isles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Isles?

What Greek island fits the bill for reachable by airplane plus picturesque beaches - the kind that are in magazines and are absolutely beautiful? This is my first trip to Greece, and there is so much information that I'm lost - am hoping someone can help me narrow things down. Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM

Naxos is reachable by airplane and is known for having beautiful beaches.

But I imagine there are many islands that will also fit the bill. That's a pretty broad and vague request.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely look into Naxos. Sorry for the broad request - was hoping to narrow it down by the airport and great beaches and then go from there. I get terribly seasick, which is why the airplane as opposed to a ferry is a must. Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

Paros also has an airport (Olympic Airlines) and excellent beaches, and there is the added bonus of being only 15 minutes from Antiparos by local ferry (from Pounta port) where there are even more nice beaches.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM

You can also consider other apart from the Cyclades as skiathos, corfu, rhodes etc.
Usually the photos of beaches that are in magazines are not from cyclades, but Cyclades have the white cube houses and picturesque towns that appear in most magazines. If you tell us more about your age and interests we could give you more info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We are 32 years old and do not yet have children. It's my second trip to Europe (previously traveled to London, Paris) and his first trip. We are well traveled, but our travels are primarily confined to the Caribbean. If going to the Caribbean, we love out of the way, quieter islands and beautiful beaches are key - white sand, clear water. Our favorite Caribbean islands are Anguilla, St. Barts, St. John and Vieques. My husband isn't completely sold on going to Europe, so by picking the Greek Isles, I'm trying to appeal to his love of beautiful beaches and ease him into Europe that way. We like to get out and explore the islands where we stay with a car and often rent villas as opposed to staying at hotels to have the convenience of being able to fix some of our own meals. That being said, we also love to have somewhere to go out for good food and drink! We like to hike and love hanging out all day on deserted beaches. I'd welcome any other suggestions!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM

There are an abundance of studios and apartments and villas with kitchen facilities, it seems to be the norm rather than the exception in the Greek islands. After reading your last post I reiterate my recommendation for Paros and Antiparos. Having a car or a motorscooter to get around these island is the perfect way to see some out-of-the-way beauty and environment as well as having access to any number of great local restaurants and tavernas.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:38 AM

bk
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Hi Becca,
My wife and I went to 4 islands last September. We flew to Athens and our first stop was Chania, Crete in western Crete. We flew Aegean Airlines. The flight was about 1 hour. Chania is a great place, beautiful harbor, tons of restaurants. In the western part of Crete there are all sorts of beaches. We rented a car and drove to Sougia on the Libyan Sea. Crete is the best.
Nick
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Hi

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed Paros. And I haven't been but Naxos gets rave reviews (that's next for me). Mykonos has beautiful beaches but expensive in comparison. It is also gay friendly which may not appeal to some. Second half of September is a lovely time to go. Prices are low and crowds have thinned. Check out Aegean or Olympic for airfares.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:48 AM

becca, I hope you are not going in late July or in August because that is when the entire continent of Europe descends on Greece, and it will be crowded everywhere. June or early july would be perfect -- water has warmed up, yet crowds aren't there yet.

If that's what you can schedule you're going to love Greece --and especially Naxos if you love white sand beaches. There is a 10-15 Km continuous strand -- about the finest in the Cyclades. Frequent busses from Naxos Town get u there in 10-15 mins. They get less populated as they go -- Ag.Prokopios, Ag. Anna, Plaka and Mykra Vigli. ... the latter 2, esp. before the High SEason, even have some "clothing optional"areas.

Naxos Town is fascinating, with many enjoyable cafes & tavernas, and the beach towns have a few as well.

Happily Naxos has not yet suffered the "megahotel" blight.Villas right on a beach are not plentiful, but there are many "studios" and 2-room apartments with kitchenettes. Every unit has a patio or balcony, many with direct sea views. Here are 2 websites that show many of these small family-run lodgings, listed by beach location:

http://www.thegreektravel.com/naxos/hotels.html
http://www.naxos-island-greece.com/n...os-hotels.html

Car rentals before high season are VERY reasonable, espec. if you can drive a stick-shift. Naxos has more dramatic landscapes, and small mountain villages to stop and have coffee in the little square. PLUS ancient statues lying in orchards! Marble quarries! Temple ruins! Here's a slide show by a Fodorite that should close the deal for you:
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

Oh yes I forgot to say, Naxos has some of the best hiking in the Cyclades -- there are even books on Naxos hikes. here's a website that gives illustrated hike suggestions;
http://www.cycladen.be/NaxosEng.htm

I don't know why I'm telling you all this -- if I were smart, I'd promote some other island, so I could keep people away from Naxos. Dumb me.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! I should have clarified when we are going - May 16th through May 27th.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM

If you are interested in Naxos, Becca, don't wait until you book a hotel --- drop everything this MINUTE and try to book a flight on the day you want to return to the Athens Area.

Why the rush??? the last weekend in May is "college break" weekend for Greek students. While most of them will flock to mainland spots or to Mykonos... Naxos does get busier.

THEN, if you get a flight (and you may have to move it up/back a day), Quick-quick get a hotel.

Olympic just has 1 flight per day, about 1 pm, not a huge plane either.
Good luck!!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow - thank you for letting me know! I'll get on this immediately!