Greek Islands - Which one ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning 7 night trip to Greece in March / April 2010. Looking to spend 3 nights Athens and then branching out for 3 nights to one of the Greek Islands. My thoughts are Mykonos, Santorini, or possibly Corfu.

Looking for suggestions including ease of transportation from Athens and posible hotels.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM

March and April are FAR too cold for the beach, so if you go to an island, you must go for the scenery, for hiking, for spring flowers, etc. I'm Guessing you are from new York (my hometown for so long) ... but So many Americans think that the Greek Isles are like the Caribbean. NOT. More like the Carolinas ... earliest the water is swimmable is about mid-May.... except maybe in Rhodes, where I once managed to swim May 11th. As for Corfu, if you look on the map, it's really like the Balkans, weatherwise.

Mykonos & Santorini are the most touristy (AND costliest, in general), but even they are very very low-key until after April. So tell us why you want to go this early .... or look at your calendar and think about going in May-JUne. (or September ... the crowds are gone and the water & daytime temp is actually sublime).
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Timeframe to go is dictated by calenar availability. Late March / early April is only time available and Greece is somewhere I have never been and would like to do.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, you can fly to both Mykonos and Santorini from Athens, try Aegean Air or Olympic Airlines. I think Aegean have a better reputation and sometimes have good specials on their website. The flight takes about 30 mins from memory.

You can also take a slow ferry or a faster catamaran. The ferry is cheaper and you can be outside in the fresh air if you want. The cat has indoor seating only but is quicker.

Not sure about Corfu, I went there so long ago I can't remember.

Mykonos town is gorgeous, full of white sugar cube houses with bright blue doors and railings and vivid pink bougainvillea. It's also quite touristy but we loved it. Loads of places to eat and drink and little tourist shops.

Santorini is special. The view from the caldera (middle of a sunken volcano) is amazing. If you can arrive in Santorini by boat, make sure you look at the white town sitting on top of the brown cliff. It looks like icing on a cake. Santorini is also touristy but wonderful.

You could always fly one way and get the boat the other way.

Kay
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM

I have been trying to think of a polite way to put this, but what do you plan to do on the islands in March/April? As Jan said, it will be too cold for beach activities,and most outdoor cafes will be closed. On the plus side, Greek Orthodox Easter is early next year (Apr 4th), so you will have a chance to see the festivities, but you don't have to go to the islands for that.

My suggestion would be to do your three (or more) days in Athens, then head somewhere on the mainland where there is more to see and do than on the islands. The Peloponnese, for example, has far more to offer than any island. Be aware that roads and ferries will be very busy in the week before Easter, and for a few days after Easter Monday.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM

BTW, if you want a taste of Greek Easter celebrations, have a look at this video clip from the Mykonos webcam: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1402493
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Nice!