Greek Island selection - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have scheduled to spend 4 days on Greek Islands in September but I can't decide which islands. I had originally thought of seeing Santorini then selecting a less touristy island. (Mykonos, Naxos and Paros I'm not feeling compelled to visit) However, not too many other islands are easily accessible from Santorini. I get sea sick so would like to limit the amount of time I spend on a boat. Some of the Ionian islands and Agean islands look beautiful. What would someone recommend we do?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM

If you get seasick then why don't you fly using Aegean Air?

Go to the Aegean Air website and look up what islands you can fly to from Santorini.

Thin
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I did. We can fly from Athens to Santorini. That is our tentative plan. However, we want to spend 2 nights on an island other than Santorini but to fly from Santorini to another island kills a day because there aren't direct flights. You have to fly back to Athens then wait like 5hrs for the connecting flight to the island.

Thanks though.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Ferry schedules being what they are coupled with the fact that you only have 4 days your best options are Naxos and Paros. There is a large and VERY stable conventional Blue Star car ferry that goes from Santorini to both these islands on the way back to Athens/Piraeus. You won't get seasick.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM

To be honest any island hop you do will eat up a good portion of a day by the time you check out of your hotel get the ferry spend time on the ferry and find a new hotel on the second island.
Since you only have 4 days why not maximize the time you have and just stay on Santorini. That way you can fly back to Athens and not have to worry about the ferry at all.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Why don't you just fly to Crete or Rodos from Athens for 4 days? There is certainly enough to do on these islands for 4 days to keep you busy.

I don't know why you would want to do two islands in 4 days.

Thin
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM

With only four days I would tend to agree with Thin. We spent 3 days each on Naxos, Santorini and Milos. Loved them all, but Santorini's excavations and musuem, scenery and wine put it at the top of the list. If you fly back to Athens, you could take a very short ferry ride to Aegina for an island with a different flavor. On our trip we happened to catch the ferry on the last day of school. The ferry was filled with school kids who sang songs all the way back to the mainland. It was one of the best times of our trip. We visited with several of the students who were happy to practice their English with us - an absolutely lovely time!!
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM

After the first week of September even the touristy islands become quiet, making Naxos and Paros viable options. Another possibility is Antiparos, where I am sitting now. The island is only 15 minutes by bus from the main port, plus a seven (7) minute ferry ride from Pounta on Paros. Antiparos has a pedestrian-only main street lined with shops and restaurants, and several beaches within a ten minute walk from town. I don't like to hype my favorite island, but it may be the answer for you.