Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

greek ferry question and santorini question

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:44 AM
mike

hi, <BR>i will be traveling from mykonos to paros to santorinia via ferries in early june, can anyone provide some tips for the following questions: <BR> <BR>1: where to buy the tickets (tourist agency or ticket stands?); same day or purchase in advance? <BR>2: how many companies/how would you identify ferries going to particular destination? <BR>3: knowing the reliability (or lack thereof) of the ferry system, would arrive at port one hour before departure sufficient? <BR>4. i am considering car rental for santorini and possibly mykonos, is parking easy around the islands? <BR> <BR>many thanks in advance, <BR>mike <BR>

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Monica

Hi Mike, <BR> <BR>My husband and I returned from Greece last Monday and visited Santorini, Naxos and Paros, then headed to Athens (Piraeus). We bought our tickets the day before at one of the travel agencies on the islands. There are plenty of them to choose from and provide same price tickets. <BR> <BR>I saw two companies on the water: Dolphin and Hellas. Since we went during low season, we were unable to get to Mykonos from Naxos. But schedules in June-Aug should have more flexibility. <BR> <BR>We always arrived at port 30 minutes prior to the sailing time. All three boats left about 10-15 mintues late anyway. <BR> <BR>We rented a car in Naxos and Paros and it was very easy to rent and park our car. Never saw a meter anywhere.

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Thrya

HI Mike, <BR>Just returned from Mykonos and Santorini last October, we ended up flying between the islands which was very inexpensive and quick. IMHO I wouldn't rent a car on either island. Neither is that large and there is plenty of transportation and very few places to park. We saw very few cars on either island and definately no in the centers of town. The Fira on Santorini or Oai CAN'T be driven into. Even taxi's drop you off at the top of the hill. We did get transfers to and from the airports on both islands but they were 10 minute rides tops.

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Monica

I meant to say we purchase our tickets the day before travel. We were told not to book too early in case of schedule changes. A day in advance is fine. The travel agencies have signs showing schedules for the week and the times the boats leave the port.

Old May 24th, 2001, 11:16 AM
poopsie

I've had dealings with several Greek fairies and found them to be well mannered and clean.

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Paulo

You may get a "reasonable" ferry scene picture at <BR>http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp <BR> <BR>If you know in which days you're travelling, you may have a pretty good idean on which your options will be. <BR> <BR>You're soon going to realize that the vast nmajority of ferries, hydrofoils and catamarans in your route are operated by Minoan Flying Dolphins co. There's a reasonable chance that you'll use this company for your 3 trips. From Mykonos to Paros there's a chance you use Blue Star Ferries. <BR> <BR>When you get your ticket, the vessle's name is indicated. You won't have any trouble finding it in the port <BR> <BR>If you care for, the site above also gives info on the agents the various shipping companies have in the islands. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Paulo

Oh ... and I'd rent a car in Santorini. Though one may get by on public transportation, waiting for a bus in certain places may be a nuisance. We rented minicars both in Santorini and Rhodes for about $40/day <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Susan

We rented cars on both Santorini and Naxos. Even though Santorini is small, we wanted the flexibility of a car. We drove all over - up to the monastery, to various beaches, from one end of the island to the other more than once. <BR> <BR>Car rental was super cheap. I don't think we paid more than $30 - $35 Canadian (that's like $20 USD) a day. On both islands, it was a really small car - Suburu Maruti? - and on Santorini, it wasn't a new car. It also didn't have A/C. (In Naxos, it was new and had A/C.) But we didn't really worry about it. Parking wasn't a problem anywhere. In Fira, there was a large parking lot on the outskirts. In Oia, we also parked on the outskirts.

Old May 24th, 2001, 02:25 PM
mike

hi folks, thanks for all the quick replies!...i did consult the gtp.gr website but i was surprised to see only 1 blue star trip/day for myk to paros and paros to santorini routes...i noticed that blue star has a morning route going from mykonos to paros for only 40 mins, is this an extra hydrofoil service other than flying dolphins? <BR> <BR>as for car rentals, i checked numerously online but the responses have been either no reply or the quote was somewhat higher than amts mentioned here (what really balked me was the deposit they were asking was the same amt as the rental) ..so my question is for a family of four how much should i expect to pay for an automatic in santorini and paros; also did any of you accept damage insurance if i may assume that many people paid by credit card..and is intl driver's lic really required? i checked 5-6 guide books and half said yes the other half said no... <BR> <BR>while we are on the same venue, can anyone recommend some good resturants at these three islands? <BR> <BR>and lastly...to "poopsie" above, if i ever run into Greek fairies on this trip, this forum would be the first to know!

Old May 24th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Susan

We didn't book cars in advance. We arranged that when we got to the islands. We didn't need an international drivers license. We used our Visa card when we paid. <BR> <BR>I really can't say what an automatic for 4 would cost, but I think it would be quite a bit more than a standard. We drive standard at home, so never need to worry about it when we travel. <BR> <BR>Santorini had some fairly upscale restaurants. However, we also ate in one in Fira that was more traditional. I can't recall the name - I may be able to find the card somewhere - but there was loads of food on display - grilled meats, stuffed tomatoes, etc. There were also lots of Greeks eating there. I'll see if I can find the card. The food was terrific.

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Melissa

Susan: <BR>My husband and I are also thinking of renting a car in santorini at least for one day to get to the ruins etc. Do you think it was an oversight that your car rental place did not require an international drivers license or is that standard? Thanks!

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Monica

I too rented a car while in Greece (Naxos and Paros) and didn't need any international drivers license. Same thing when I was in Germany.

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Paulo

Mike, <BR> <BR>I doubt you'll be able to drive for more than 30-40 minutes in one shot ... or 2 hours in a day. Car confort therefore isn't that much of an issue. Most probably everyone in your party will be wearing shorts and t-shirts. Not even an a/c is a must (even though I certainly wouldn complain having one). When we drove around the Greek islands we were 4 adults and we rented minicars. No problems at all because of the stop and go. <BR> <BR>Minicars such as described Susan are indeed cheap, specially if you rent upon arrival. In early June there should be plenty of available cars and car owners eager to make a deal. One doesn't to rent from Hertz, Avis and such. Most of the available cars are from local private owners. <BR> <BR>Now, as car size increases, things get nastier. The availability plunges and rental rates hike. If you indeed can't do without an automatic I'm afraid you'll get scalped (if you indeed can find one!). <BR> <BR>In your shoes I'd experiment with a stick shift ... this would take care of it all, including the weight in your pocket. <BR> <BR>From Mykonos to Paros, Blue Star ferries should have a car ferry service in the afternoon, and catamaran (passengers only) service in the morning. Minoan Flying Dolphins should also have a competing catamaran service in the morning. From Paros to Santorini there's a catamaran service taking 2 hours (except Tuesdays if I'm not wrong) and a bunch of ferry services (3 hours). You don't need to travel with the same shipping co. once there's no apparent advantage (once upon a time there was an island pass ...so you may check). If there is I'd bet you'd be better of with Minoan Flying Dolphins. <BR> <BR>As for restaurants in Santorini, the best 3 we experimented were the 1800 in Oia, the Camille Stefani in Kamari beach and Nikólas in Fira. If you appreciate a good stake, Kastro may be your bid. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Monica

I can second the Nikólas in Fira. We had an excellent meal and it was very inexpensive!

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Carol

Just got back. Do not count on the ferries. We got stuck for two extra days in both Athens and Santorini in the month known for the lowest winds, due to ferries not running because of high winds. It was nice to be stuck in Santorini, even though we were sandblasted, but Athens is a hell hole and only worth it for the Acropolis. <BR> <BR>You can book your trip at a travel agency before you go. We found it easy to re-book when the ferries did not run, except we had to keep going back to the same travel agency. I don't know what your budget is, but we opted to fly after a 17 hour ferry ride from hell from Piraeus to Santorini. Flights are less than $100US. However, flights get booked really fast when the ferries don't run, and in really high winds, the flights are also cancelled. July and August are the worst wind months. <BR> <BR>We got a recommendation for restaurants from teh car rental agency and also from the market near our hotel (in Ia). In Ia, Santorini Mou (east end of town, full of locals) and Sunset Restaurant (in Ammoudi). We only lunched in Fira. <BR>A car rental is nice if you want unstructured vacation time. (We arrived at 5 am and no taxis or buses so had no choice!) Otherwise, there are lots of buses and tours to get you around.

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Celeste

None of our ferries were cancelled in Greece earlier this month, but the Paros to Mykonos Sea Jet was pretty uncomfortable in the rough water (due to winds) and the 40 minute trip was a little nerve-wracking. I think the boat was cancelled for the next day's trip. <BR> <BR>I love the water but I was VERY bored on the ferries after a couple of hours so I highly recommend flying if you can afford it. If nothing else, it gives you more time on the land! I would have loved to spend more time in Athens exploring the Plaka and Psiri areas as one full day in Athens was simply not enough! <BR> <BR>Obviously the ferry website is not quite complete because the Athens travel agency we used ticketed us on ferries that weren't on that website but did, in fact, exist! So if you're waiting till you get there to buy ferry tickets, make sure you read all the times available before you choose. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! I LOVED Greece!

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:45 PM
mike

hi, <BR>again thanks for all the replies...as we are heading out this friday, i will post my experience when i get back... <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:40 PM
nightowl

Hello. This thread is wonderful to read. thank you ! My sons and I will be in Crete and working our way to athens in less that ONE WEEKS !!!! We decided the fly out of Athens route and are flying directly to Paris with Euroair $89 each using <BR>american express. Does anyone know what the exit fee from Athens is? <BR> <BR>thanks